Featured What is this silver mark?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Nathan Lindop, May 25, 2019.

1. Nathan Lindop

Nathan Lindop 1: “?” 2: “!”

Hi guys, my friend is trying to find out what this mark is. They said it resembles a pot with three bits of fire, leaves or feathers coming out. Do any of you recognise this?

Thanks for any help
    Nathan

Screenshot_20190525_100426.jpg Screenshot_20190525_093117.jpg
    Screenshot_20190525_100716.jpg

cxgirl, Figtree3, aaroncab and 5 others like this.
  2. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Nathan!:woot: I searched for many years this maker's mark which seems to have evolved through the years...
    I called it "etruscan urn" but it can look as a flaming pot:cyclops:
    Have a look on my MANY posts on Collector's Weekly to see the pieces and the marks:
    https://www.collectorsweekly.com/user/kyratango/mysterious-makers-mark-etruscan-urn
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Different marks:
    https://www.collectorsweekly.com/st...ruscan-urn-marks-of-the-my?in=collection-5608

And, finally, an identification:
    https://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/261457-parisian-diamond-company
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Close-up of the mark on this identified comb:
    [​IMG]
    My comb:
    [​IMG]
    The mark:
    [​IMG]

The Parisian Diamond Company:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 25, 2019
    cxgirl, J Dagger, RachelW and 8 others like this.
  3. kyratango

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Stunning, kyra.:happy:
    I would never have guessed that was the same mark, but Nathan's gorgeous necklace is certainly the same style.

(I thought Nathan's mark looked like a cross between a tadpole and a shovel.:bag::sorry:)

5. kyratango

:kiss:AJ!

The mark evolved... some are grouped with the silver fineness, always 900 or 925, some as individual, latest are on a soldered tiny plaque.
    For the description, yours is the most imaginative! We had sail ship, cactus in a pot, flames in a pot...
    My collection grew with years, I spot these with the high quality of the pastes, setting, and exquisite Edwardian decors.
    My Graal is now to find one of their illustrated catalogues with prices:D
    CALLING OUR UK MEMBERS!:)

6. kyratango

Link to my Pinterest board where I pin all those I see, with marks, and the old advertisements of the Parisian Diamond Company :
    https://pin.it/bjxd6hmui5wsza

7. Any Jewelry

:jawdrop::greedy:.
    Of course I had to look at your other boards as well. They will keep me off the streets for days.....:happy::happy::happy:

8. Phaik Hooi

Phaik Hooi Well-Known Member

absolutely STUNNING collection!! :happy::happy:

9. kyratango

Haha! You had a look to my mind through that window;)
    As far I HATE Pinterest when I Google for something for research... As much I LOVE keeping on hand images of things I could never buy!:jawdrop::)

10. Any Jewelry

Yes, I recognised the kyra I know from the forum.:happy:

scoutshouse, Aquitaine and kyratango like this.
  11. Nathan Lindop

Nathan Lindop 1: “?” 2: “!”

Tadpole and a shovel haha made me giggle a bit :hilarious:
    Parisian diamond Co.! I can sense the excitement to impart your knowledge Kyra haha. You couldnt have given a better response. My friend will certainly be pleased with the info :happy::pompous:

12. kyratango

Thanks Nathan!
    You should have seen my happy dance and excitement when the other poster on CW showed her comb WITH THE DOCUMENTS!!!:hilarious:

cxgirl, RachelW, Phaik Hooi and 5 others like this.
  13. Any Jewelry

Am I right or am I right?:cool::playful:

14. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

So we have a company called The Parisian Diamond Company located in Great Britain, and beautifully designed and made silver jewellery that is not always sterling and does not have British sterling marks on it. We also have a Frenchwoman who seems to find it in a way those of us located elsewhere do not. Are we looking at a collaboration between an English maker of artificial diamonds & a French designer/maker?

In the photo of the backs of all those pieces, was interested to see the transition in hinge type, with none I can spot having any type of safety clasp. They really are made like fine jewellery of the period, with jewelled bails for the pendants and removable fittings for the convertible pin/pendant.

To add to your document collection, found this:

https://digitalcollections.nypl.org/items/510d47e1-24ec-a3d9-e040-e00a18064a99

[​IMG]

Alamy has a number of images:

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/parisian-diamond-company.html

Quite a lot comes up in a Google search for the company conducted from the US. I know sometimes things available here are not in the EU due to different copyright law. Most of them seem to be catalogue covers. This one from 1902 should catch your eye [Edit: just realized you have already seen it]:

upload_2019-5-25_10-27-16.png

https://www.printsandephemera.com/ourshop/prod_5602763-The-Parisian-Diamond-Company-1902.html

It's not really a match, but this is the mark for Gaston Potier, evidently a bit of a pun, as the device is described as une poterie grecque:

upload_2019-5-25_9-58-43.png

15. kyratango

The images above (not catalogues, but full page advertisements in newspapers) will allow people here to see the high quality of the pieces sold by the Company:) They were too famous (then!) for the "Orient Pearls", so perfectly made to imitate the most expensive natural pearls:joyful:
    Of course, the "diamonds" are simulant paste! Nowadays laws don't allow the use of the word for imitations, but then...:facepalm:

I got all Internet available images... Bought too some pages from old ads sellers...

Thanks @Bronwen for resuming the concern of these jewelry pieces:kiss:

Even since being able to relate them to the Parisian Diamond Company, I always thought and think they were probably made in Pforzheim or that part of the world;)
    With WWII heavy bombing of Pforzheim, most of the archives are lost:(

I E-mailed to the Pforzheim Schmuck Museum with no answer...:shifty:

Even if there is "Parisian" in the name of the company, this is not French made... The Company is advertised in one or too 1890s sheets to be also present in Paris, but I wasn't able to find an address or a French advertisement for it:banghead:

Interesting maker's mark with the "poterie grecque", this one I haven't saw while searching!

Last edited: May 25, 2019
    cxgirl, Any Jewelry and scoutshouse like this.
  16. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Wow, you all!

cxgirl and kyratango like this.
  17. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I think Pforzheim or similar is a very feasible source. Parisian would have simply been a fashionable term: the haute monde loved all things from Paris. Much more high class than saying German.

Those collars are a copy of the ones worn by Queen Alexandra.

Just in case you've not seen them:

https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Parisian_Diamond_Co

18. kyratango

Absolutely, the Queens Mary and Alexandra fashion for dog collars and kilos of pearls :woot:

Not sure I saw the last one on your link, so it is now pinned on the Pinterest board, thank you!

cxgirl, Any Jewelry and scoutshouse like this.
  19. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Most welcome. And many thanks for my cadeau, il est arrive ce matin!

cxgirl, Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  20. joseedes

joseedes New Member

Hi Kyratango I really don't know if this message will find you but I have 2 pieces with the same flaming pot but both are stamped 830 silver...hum I don't know what to think...

Bronwen, cxgirl and kyratango like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted