What is this stone

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Sepia, May 26, 2019.

1. Dawnno

Dawnno Well-Known Member

That was an idea. I think we've exhausted that one.

So we are back to film festivals, aliens, lost boat anchors, and Arthurian legends about the "Stone in the Pond" or something like that where they pulled something out of a stone or a pond, not sure which. :rolleyes: Crop circles -- that's it. upload_2019-5-27_16-36-36.png
    You found the crop circle creator crystal.

Let us know what you discover.

cxgirl, kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

My point was that the ring cross style, probably brought by the Irish, appears in many areas of the British Isles as early as the 6th century. If the image on the stone is a cross (to be determined), its closest comparative would be a ring cross. As there is no date for it, it could be pre-Danelaw, Danelaw, or post Danelaw. (It was @Dawnno's hypothesis that the stone was found in the Danelaw, and dating to that period, with comparisons to Manx stones.) All prior traditions were not eliminated by the imposition of Danish rule. There is at least one example of a high cross (with ring) from Cumbria (in the Danelaw) dating to the 10th century that shows a mixture of Irish-inspired Anglo-Saxon elements as well as Viking elements, the Gosforth cross:
    [​IMG]
    And, quoting a Wikipedia article on high crosses (with appropriate caveats):
    "After the Viking invasions, the settled Norse population of the Danelaw adopted the [Celtic cross] form, and a number of crosses combine Christian imagery with pagan Norse myths, which the Church seems to have tolerated, and adopted at least as metaphors for the period when conversion was bedding down."
    https://ipfs.io/ipfs/QmXoypizjW3WknFiJnKLwHCnL72vedxjQkDDP1mXWo6uco/wiki/High_cross.html

Dawnno and Jivvy like this.
  3. 2manybooks

And yes, without more information we probably have exhausted that theory. Sorry to get all didactic. I know I have a tendency to go down rabbit holes......

Dawnno, Jivvy and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I think finding a local historian would be best.

Dawnno, 2manybooks and kyratango like this.
  5. Sepia

Sepia Member

Local museum also couldn't help but glad to get their hands on it. My personal opinion is that it is that the stone mason was intending to make a cross but the stone broke so it was discarded. Why thrown in the pond is a different matter as the stone could still have been re-used - though there's no shortage of stone in the area - so maybe destroyed before it could be finished. So many possibilities but I think I'll discount the aliens and the film festival theories. Thanks for all your help guys, it was a fun discussion

kyratango, Jivvy, Dawnno and 2 others like this.
  6. Dawnno

Dawnno Well-Known Member

That fits the KISS hypothesis. ;)

kyratango likes this.
  7. Dawnno

Dawnno Well-Known Member

I, for one, appreciate that.

because when I go down them, I feel like Pooh bear:
    upload_2019-5-28_12-29-21.png

8. 2manybooks

One of my archeology professors told a story of working on a site where they found half of a Clovis point, along with the knapping debris around it. Later in the season they found the other half, as far away as the maker could throw it.

kyratango, Dawnno and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

In this case the maker must have been pretty strong.:playful:
    Maybe an apprentice tried to make one of those Nordic sun symbols with the four dots in it, and his master got so enraged at the Pagan image that he suddenly got the strength to hurl it into the lake.

Last edited: May 28, 2019
    Jivvy, 2manybooks and Dawnno like this.
  10. Kathy Anderson

Kathy Anderson Well-Known Member

Fascinating. Thanks for all the research; what nice travel!

kyratango, Dawnno and Any Jewelry like this.
  11. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

If this is ever identified, post an update here, @Sepia .

kyratango, Jivvy and Any Jewelry like this.
  12. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

Yes, please do, @Sepia !

Draft saved Draft deleted