Featured What is this textile work called and any ideas on age

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Tom Mackay, Jul 16, 2021.

1. Tom Mackay

Tom Mackay Well-Known Member

Oddly, I found this in a Xmas card in an envelope postmarked 1950. Now, I don't know if it was there originally or was stuffed in later. I didn't think this kind of item was being exported from China at that time (and I still don't). Also, I strongly suspect it is machine made but honestly, I don't know "A" from "Z" about this.
    Thanks in advance for any input or opinion !
    ps Hope you are all well. 20210714_174154.jpg 20210714_174256.jpg 20210714_174340.jpg 20210714_173818.jpg 20210714_173919.jpg

DizzyDaff, Darkwing Manor and Bronwen like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I would think it was a little gift handkerchief presented in a Christmas card. Not an uncommon gift in the 1950s. And a Chinese import, as it says. I would call it cutwork and embroidery. I'd assume it to be hand done but can't tell from photographs. (One has to compare the work on the front with the finish on the back.) I don't believe these have any great value individually -- there are a lot of them around. A Google Images search will bring up many examples.

Debora

3. Poisonivy

Poisonivy Well-Known Member

I think that's called Whitework.

Tom Mackay, Bronwen and pearlsnblume like this.
  4. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

You don’t provide a photo of the entire square. Is there an area in the middle that is not embellished? If so, then I agree with the handkerchief assessment. If not, then I would say it is simply a small square vintage Chinese import doily. A significant non-embroidered area is necessary for blowing one’s nose lol.
    Either way, value is minimal. But it’s a nice pretty little thing.

Tom Mackay, Bronwen and pearlsnblume like this.
  5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I had a great aunt who sent me a handkerchief along with every birthday & Christmas card. She worked cleaning houses & people would give her little gifts, including, apparently, floral handkerchiefs.

DizzyDaff and Tom Mackay like this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Teacher's were gifted them back in the day too.

Debora

DizzyDaff, Tom Mackay and Bronwen like this.
  7. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

Hi Everyone, I can't disagree with either cut and drawn - or white work... as it certainly has elements of both. Items like this were exports from China, Switzerland, Ireland, and the Phillippines during the 40's - 60's... I suppose they still are being exported to some degree.
    Pretty piece; albiet common.
    Leslie

Darkwing Manor and Tom Mackay like this.
  8. Tom Mackay

Thanks everyone. I'd take a photo of the whole thing but at the moment
    it's lost, in the midst of 100 years of correspondence I'm sorting through. I'm too brain-fogged to look for it.

Northern Lights Lodge likes this.
  9. Tom Mackay

I found it again right away after a good night's sleep. I'm going with hanky over doily. The new photos are one overhead shot then 3 pairs
    showing detail from front side then back side each. 20210718_085043.jpg 20210718_085125.jpg 20210718_085218.jpg 20210718_085434.jpg 20210718_085516.jpg 20210718_085806.jpg 20210718_085737.jpg

10. lizjewel

lizjewel Well-Known Member

My vote is for doily. The weave looks too coarse to be suitable for a hanky. I realize that the image is under extreme magnification but nevertheless, it is not a handkerchief type weave. I saw this type of embroidery often growing up in Sweden. As already mentioned, they were favorite gifts to teachers, aunts, as Pollyannas to school mates, office colleagues, stocking stuffers, Christmas card enclosures. Although we find them cute now in our mature tastes, they were rather boring to receive as gifts when I was very young. I'd pass them on to my mom, grandmoms, aunts, next time around. They were too nice to blow my nose in I thought!

Tom Mackay and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  11. Tom Mackay

You could very well be correct ! All the hankies from that home were rather utilitarian. Dresser cloths and such were always used on the wooden table surfaces AND the two ladies of the house were school teachers. In any case, whatever it was for it was never used.

Draft saved Draft deleted