Featured What is this thing called?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by BeardedJoe, Jun 29, 2017.

1. BeardedJoe

BeardedJoe Member

Not even sure where to start on this. Anybody know what this is called?

20170629_082034.jpg 20170629_082037.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

jug...amphora.........weird hand grenade ????

pearlsnblume and Joshua Brown like this.
  3. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

It looks like a studio potter's version of a hummingbird feeder, missing the stopper with the little tube. The two loops are so it can be hung either vertically or horizontally.

4. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

I had that thought also; and maybe if the stopper were painted red, the hummers might come. Otherwise, I doubt they'd be attracted......but maybe studio potters and their customers don't know that.
    The floral decoration on it would also fit with a hummingbird feeder, even if the wrong color.

KingofThings likes this.
  5. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

I agree, it isn't a color designed to attract hummingbirds, but I've seen them made in all kinds of colors/patterns/glaze combinations.

There is a standard cork available through potters' supply shops, garden shops, and I've even seen them in some craft shops like JoAnns and Michaels. It's a black cork, with a clear tube through the center, and a red plastic tip on the end. Maybe that's all that's needed.

But without the cork and feeding tube, it is pretty useless....

KingofThings likes this.
  6. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

7. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Or its just a hanging vase ?

KingofThings, janettekay and komokwa like this.
  8. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

My thought also...hanging vase....

KingofThings likes this.
  9. Melissa Brown

Melissa Brown Well-Known Member

Hummingbird feeder for sure, and no, they never worked! I had one. Bad idea all around, hummers don't like them, & you can't see if there's any food left or if it's clean.

You know those silly potters...they think everything is better made of clay.

10. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

LOL---no self respecting hummer would be attracted to it :rolleyes:.. no way that color would attract them...:facepalm:...yes...potters make lots of things that should not be made !!

KingofThings and Melissa Brown like this.
  11. KingofThings

They make a lot of skeet...
    ;)

12. Melissa Brown

Melissa Brown Well-Known Member

Yep! I've got some seconds around right now that make me wish I still shot skeet! (I'm a potter :artist: !)

KingofThings likes this.
  13. BeardedJoe

BeardedJoe Member

Thanks everyone. Would have never guessed a hummingbird feeder. And I totally agree that there's no way this thing is going to attract any birds.

KingofThings likes this.
  14. KingofThings

The hummingbird feeder realtor can use it to upsell a better facility.
    ;)

Bakersgma likes this.
  15. BeardedJoe

BeardedJoe Member

haha I actually have a few hummingbird feeders as there are quite a few around the house. If I used this I most certainly would see less than I do now

KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted