What is this tool called? It's driving me crazy.

Discussion in 'Tools' started by Bookahtoo, Sep 26, 2014.

  1. Bookahtoo

    Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

    I'm pretty sure this is a woodworking tool. It's for making cuts, but when I google router I just get wooden handled chisel-like things. Can anyone help?





    Oh, and does anyone know anything about D.F. Mfg.?
  2. Messilane

    Messilane Well-Known Member

    Well, it is some kind of wood plane. Perhaps for doing fancier molding, what with the "V" and everything.
    Was not able to find anything on D. F. Mfg though.
    yourturntoloveit likes this.
  3. afantiques

    afantiques Well-Known Member

    It does look like a moulding plane or rabbit (rebate) plane.
  4. User 67

    User 67 Active Member

    V-shaped (v-blade) finger plane?

    My first guess was some kind of Finger plane. The 'v' shape has me going, because what use is it. A plane shaves off a flat coil of wood, whether straight, angled or v-shaped. The edge of the blade is actually carved in the shape of the molding profile (like a key, if that makes sense) to plane moldings. This v is in the opposite direction for a molding, I believe. Perhaps it was used on the out side edges of a violin, or along the very thin edge of a piece of the violin face before it was glued in place to make a beveled edge or even a pointed edge?
  5. Ladybranch

    Ladybranch Well-Known Member

    Book, look at #132 on the following link. It is a *.pdf, adobe acrobat file, on a tool auction website. Like af said, it says it is a V-tool. There is a pic and a little info:

    "Brass V-tool (beader) by OF MFG. CO. Double sided cutter. Tool is 6" long. G $30 - $60.


    --- Susan
    User 67 likes this.
  6. Ladybranch

    Ladybranch Well-Known Member

    Oooops, not af, but lilfont that mentioned a V something.

    --- Susan
  7. Ladybranch

    Ladybranch Well-Known Member

    BTW, OF Mfg rather than DF Mfg.

    --- Susan
  8. Messilane

    Messilane Well-Known Member

    Where as I said nothing at all?
    I'm gonna go eat worms now.
    707susang and afantiques like this.
  9. User 67

    User 67 Active Member

    Yes I think you found the exact same tool.

    I was sort of looking at the bookatoo's photos wrong, I thought the blade was flat, and after looking at your link, and back here I see the actual blade is 3-d, or bent up.
  10. Bookahtoo

    Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

    Thanks Messi, Af, lilfont, and Susan.

    Susan - yes it is the same tool in brass!!! How do you do it?
  11. yourturntoloveit

    yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

    Now, now, Messilane, dry your tears or your rouge will run.

    You got a "like" early on for your response (because I had already called DH in to confirm my "plane" theory). ;) LOL
  12. Messilane

    Messilane Well-Known Member

    It's my eye make-up I worry about . . .

  13. Bookahtoo

    Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

    yourturntoloveit likes this.
  14. Ladybranch

    Ladybranch Well-Known Member

    Wellll, now that I know what to call it, pray tell, what is a "beader" other than one who strings beads!


    --- Susan
    spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  15. terry5732

    terry5732 Well-Known Member

    Different form but same use

  16. yourturntoloveit

    yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

  17. Ladybranch

    Ladybranch Well-Known Member

    Now I'm upset, y'all are making fun of my latest picture! BTW, Messi, where did you get my pic? Are you one of those Cloud hackers that got into my pictures. Thank goodness you didn't post one of my nude selfies.

    --- Susan
  18. Messilane

    Messilane Well-Known Member

    Susan, I'm saving those for a rainy day. :hilarious:
  19. Ladybranch

    Ladybranch Well-Known Member

    Terry and yourturn, thank you for the explanations of what a beader is used for.

    --- Susan
Draft saved Draft deleted

Share This Page