What is this? Tribal club or mixing tool?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, May 30, 2020.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I bought this at a estate sale today. The seller said his grandfather had told him it was from Australia(?) he thought & was for mixing ...something (I don't remember) - he said I could see the oils on the end where they used it to beat/crush herbs or medicine(?) in a rhythmic pounding to music or chanting during a tribal ritual? (I couldn't see anything on the end but the end is worn some)
    I honestly don't remember it all - I was buying it as soon as I saw it - even though my first thought was it was a folk art carved club used while fishing & was already looking at other stuff as he told me about it.
    Which is why I'm posting it here so hopefully someone can tell me exactly what I have? Is this anything special or just a tourist piece?
    Or something else?
    Thanks!

COLLECTIBLE AUSTRAN RITUAL CLUB STIRRER 1AA.JPG
    COLLECTIBLE AUSTRAN RITUAL CLUB STIRRER 3AA.JPG COLLECTIBLE AUSTRAN RITUAL CLUB STIRRER 4AA.JPG COLLECTIBLE AUSTRAN RITUAL CLUB STIRRER 4AAA.JPG
    COLLECTIBLE AUSTRAN RITUAL CLUB STIRRER 2AA.JPG COLLECTIBLE AUSTRAN RITUAL CLUB STIRRER 4AZZAA.JPG COLLECTIBLE AUSTRAN RITUAL CLUB STIRRER 5AA.JPG COLLECTIBLE AUSTRAN RITUAL CLUB STIRRER 6AA.JPG

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

HA!!! Looks to me like someone decorated an OLD policeman's Billie Stick!!!! And I could be as far off as next week too!!!:joyful::joyful::joyful: But it looks like a couple of letters stamped into the fat very end of the stick to me too......seriously!

3. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

4. journeymagazine

That's it!
    Thank you

Christmasjoy and 2manybooks like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Good call TMB !!!!

The seller said his grandfather had told him it was from Australia(?)........

Sure he did !!! anything to sell an old stick he didn't want !!!!

It may not be the finest one I've ever seen.....but it's no tourist item either......

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is a genuine taro pestle, journey, and could be antique.:)
    He could have bought it in Oz, we used to get a lot of PNG items there. After all, PNG is a neighbour, and before independence it was under Aussie administrative rule.

komokwa and 2manybooks like this.
  7. komokwa

Oh, yer just being nice !!!!!:kiss:

It's from Australia......& He bought it in Australia..... R 2 way different things !!

I bought a Haida Totem Pole in Montreal....but it's not From Montreal !!!

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. journeymagazine

What is that on his face? The first one that 2manybooks posted said it was a human form with a crocodile on his face - can I describe mine as a crocodile? (doesn't really look like one, right?)
    Thanks!

9. komokwa

upload_2020-5-31_20-9-48.jpeg
    I'd say it's a type of bird mask face..

Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  10. journeymagazine

Thanks komokwa!

komokwa likes this.
  11. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member