What is this? Why so Heavy?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by mmarco102, Apr 28, 2021.

1. mmarco102

mmarco102 Well-Known Member

At least twice a year I need to waste a few dollars on something I have no use for but have to know what it was made for.

Coming in at only a short 6.75" and 19lbs:eek:, I am trying to imagine why this small brass acorn was made to weigh so much for its size. Three U rings for hanging(sure would hate to have this fall on someone):nailbiting:. On opening there are two solid steel halves inside. All the brass is thick and heavy too.

Anyone know this? Thinking it would make a good anchor for a small boat.

IMG_2554 2.jpg IMG_2555 2.jpg IMG_2553 2.jpg IMG_2552 2.jpg IMG_2551 2.jpg IMG_2550 2.jpg

kyratango and Aquitaine like this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Reminds me of a thurible.

mmarco102, i need help and KSW like this.
  3. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Exactly what I was thinking although embarrassingly I didn’t know what it was called so you have saved me trying to explain incense swingy thing!.

kyratango, mmarco102 and i need help like this.
  4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

mmarco102 and KSW like this.
  5. Ownedbybear

If you're raised catholic, some stuff sticks!

6. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

The poor Priest's arm would fall off trying to swing that back and forth - LOL!!
    Wonder what purpose those iron inserts serve? (Besides making it so heavy :))

mmarco102, KSW and i need help like this.
  7. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

What stuck the most with me is the memory of getting beat every couple of weeks in Catholic grade school! I think they put those nuns through boxing boot camp before making them teachers.

8. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

We did Maypole dancing and sang Kumbaya but that was about it!.
    My limited knowledge is that Kumbaya was an appeal for help from God so I hope He is sympathetic as we sang it a lot!.

9. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

How would it smoke? :cigar:

kyratango, mmarco102 and KSW like this.
  10. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

11. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

TALK about getting an Education here!!!!!:joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful: 'Course I'm one of those 'wasps'! Married to a Catholic.....but I bet if I asked him....he wouldn't know!!!:smuggrin: But to me, "Why so heavy?" is still a good question!!!

kyratango and mmarco102 like this.
  12. Aquitaine

13. Aquitaine

NICE polishing job, @mmarco102!!!

mmarco102 likes this.
  14. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

15. mmarco102

Wow, this group is both imaginary and informative at the same time. First off, adding “thurible” to my vocabulary :). Thank you.

I would imagine the priest would look like Conan the Barbarian, after using that over the years :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:. Of course the first thought was a finial, but not at that weight.

Thanks @smallaxe, never would have thought. Have you seen these before or just dug it up off the internet?

PS, no polishing done as of yet, thats the way I got it. Sadly I don’t think there’s to many gigantic oil lamp chandeliers in USA left. The one smallaxe posted was in Europe(thinking castles)

Thanks again.

kyratango likes this.
  16. mmarco102

Also, would it be reasonable to consider this an antique?

17. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

The thought just came to me while looking at your photo. Then I hunted around to see if my guess was correct, and found that ebay listing.

18. Ownedbybear

They weren't always swung by hand. Some were suspeded from the roof and pushed. I'm wondering if this is one of the weights.

mmarco102 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted