~ What Is This Winder For? ~

Discussion in 'Tools' started by Steersman, Jan 21, 2015.

  1. Steersman

    Steersman Well-Known Member

    I'd appreciate any information on this winding machine, in particular, it's original application. Well-made, but no maker's marks. Doesn't appear to have been used for wire, fence or otherwise. Pull a key and the forks trip so the coil can be removed. From a large and old collection. Any ideas?


    Thanks for looking.

  2. Steersman

    Steersman Well-Known Member

    Another pic...

  3. Messilane

    Messilane Well-Known Member

    Baler twine perhaps?
  4. Steersman

    Steersman Well-Known Member

  5. Steersman

    Steersman Well-Known Member

    It'd do that, but baler twine comes already wound up and you use from the 'ball' to bind your whatever, cutting it up in the process. It's generally discarded after use. I've baled a lot of hay and have used miles upon miles of twine.

    I think it's for some sort of manufacture or processing.
  6. Messilane

    Messilane Well-Known Member

    Or, maybe, binder twine?
    I don't know they would be considered the same thing.
  7. Steersman

    Steersman Well-Known Member

    Not sure but I think they are pretty much the same thing. Using a bale of hay as a background in the pics might have been too suggestive. :happy:
  8. antidiem

    antidiem Well-Known Member

    I don't know but I'm just going to toss out this guess due to the size: winder for barbed wire ?
  9. Ladybranch

    Ladybranch Well-Known Member

    I haven't a guess outside what has been said. I came across another one of whatever this is online. It was posted as a query by someone who came across it stored in an old USFS, US Forest Service, warehouse. They wanted to know what it was. Several guesses were thrown out without anyone really knowing. I thought barb wire roller something was probably the best guess, but someone said barb wire wasn't used on eastern US forest lands. I don't know about that. I could swear I'd seen it in US National Forests east of the Mississippi??? Thought y'all might like to read the suggestions.


    --- Susan
    spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  10. terry5732

    terry5732 Well-Known Member

    I just don't see where there would be enough instances of needing to roll up fencing that it would require a specially made winder
  11. antidiem

    antidiem Well-Known Member

    This is an antique or vintage item, and there would have been much more need for the hand rolling of fence wire, barbed wire, hay wire, etc. in the olden days. Wire was made to be strong and sturdy and could easily be taken down and reused back then.

    Wire winders are still used today but when I searched, almost all that came up could be connected to the pto on a tractor to wind the wire automatically, rather than by a hand crank.

    The way the center completely folds down - I think this is to release the wire once it has been neatly rolled.

    Here is a link to a wire collector's club, perhaps you can write to them to ask what this item was used for:


    Please let us know what you find out! :)

    EDIT ADD: I checked the link Ladybranch Susan provided and indeed the machine is the same and it is said to be used to roll wire. I think it can roll pretty much any type of wire.
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
    Lulululu and spirit-of-shiloh like this.
  12. Ladybranch

    Ladybranch Well-Known Member

  13. komokwa

    komokwa The Truth is out there...!

    EDIT ADD: I checked the link Ladybranch Susan provided and indeed the machine is the same and it is said to be used to roll wire. I think it can roll pretty much any type of wire.

    I concur Anti.....that's the same contraption....& I like the answer stating it was used for communication wires.
    antidiem likes this.
  14. Steersman

    Steersman Well-Known Member


    I agree Ladybranch has nailed it. I recall a Loren Eisley book where he describes repairing the communications wire to his FS lookout tower.

    I don't think it'd work very well for barbed wire, because barbed wire is hard to drag. The above device is for rolling along the ground to roll up fence wire. It also has mechanisms to release the roll.
    komokwa likes this.
  15. komokwa

    komokwa The Truth is out there...!

    I don't think it'd work very well for barb wire, because barb wire is hard to drag.

    You got that RIGHT !!!!

  16. Steersman

    Steersman Well-Known Member

    017.JPG Since it's not an exact match, I'd say the Coveted Gold Star is still available. However I'd say the design/application is clear.
  17. Steersman

    Steersman Well-Known Member

  18. Steersman

    Steersman Well-Known Member

  19. antidiem

    antidiem Well-Known Member

    I do think it is some sort of lineman's wire. I will add that when taking down a barbed wire fence, the wire would be rolled up as it was removed in order to keep from cutting it. Since your machine has no wheels, I don't think it practical for barbed wire. Communications wire is more likely.
    Lulululu likes this.
  20. Jerry D Carr

    Jerry D Carr Member

    go to Lows and look in the bulk wire section, looks pretty much the same. My uneducated guess would be a wire/rope winder from an old hardware store....or not
Draft saved Draft deleted
Similar Threads: Winder
Forum Title Date
Tools Macwhyte cable winder??? Mar 6, 2017
Tools ~ Yet Another Winder ~ May 17, 2015

Share This Page