Featured What is this?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Lennyt, Feb 21, 2021.

1. Lennyt

Lennyt Well-Known Member

What is this thing and what is this used for?

20210221_090517_copy_750x1000.jpg

20210221_090528_copy_750x1000.jpg

lovewrens, KSW, cxgirl and 2 others like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Can we see the whole of the rod in the middle?

Should be a frame (or holder) for something like condiment set. We'll need measurements.

Plus does that little extra thing in the one section come out or not? Can we see a closer picture of it?

And there should be glass (probably) inserts for the 3 sections.

DragonflyWink, KSW, cxgirl and 2 others like this.
  3. Bakersgma

Just one more question (yeah right) are there any marks at all? Where did you find it?

4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

E8E33D04-703E-4B9D-B168-FB5B9D9C0CD5.jpeg @Bakersgma, it’s a winged & hooved something or other.... there’s a second one closest in the picture......oh! First image looks clearer.....winged horses looking like they might be movable???

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
    antidiem, KSW, cxgirl and 2 others like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

:hilarious:

KSW, kyratango and pearlsnblume like this.
  6. Bakersgma

I know - but I want to know if it comes out or is permanently attached.

DragonflyWink, KSW, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  7. ritzyvintage

ritzyvintage Well-Known Member

I like it whatever it is! It may be drinks related, and the pouring-type rims being purely decorative features? Each cup may have had glass liners, or held decanters/bottles. The 3 Pegasus elements/salts are not integral to the larger piece, either.

8. ritzyvintage

Fid, KSW, cxgirl and 2 others like this.
  9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

The little horses (pegasuses) look like they’re freestanding to ME! How about it, @Lennyt......ARE they freestanding??????

antidiem, DragonflyWink, KSW and 3 others like this.
  10. ritzyvintage

Indeed they are. They are not integral to the main piece (see above)

11. Bakersgma

Ritzy - a picture of a random item off the net is not helpful. JMHO of course.

DragonflyWink and Any Jewelry like this.
  12. ritzyvintage

?????
    See the attached link too! The photo is of help in this instance. It provides good food for thought in trying to establish what the item is.

cxgirl and kyratango like this.
  13. ritzyvintage

cxgirl and kyratango like this.
  14. Bakersgma

I didn't need the link, thank you. It would help more to have the OP answer the various questions or provide the information requested.

15. ritzyvintage

Maybe it would, however the OP may not be able to provide more photo's or to answer specific questions, and besides there are numerous times when such information isn't required. Like when an item has been identified and when The OP's original question has been answered...

16. Barbara W. Preston

Barbara W. Preston Active Member

My wealthy aunt in Ohio has one that my cousin would use to serve her playmates glasses of tea. Notice the extra circle for a dish? That was where she put a silver sugar bowl with sugar cubes and in front of the horse on this one was where the lemon slices were placed. I always thought that was the way it was supposed to be done--totally different than the way we poor folks in Florida served tea.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  17. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

It's an oil cruet stand. It would have had bottles that could free stand but were bulbous in form. If it is an early example (late Georgian) the bottles were sometimes in Bristol blue or green glass, but they also came with clear bottles. The bottles held flavoured oils, dressings, balsamic, that kind of thing. The free standing items would likely be for salt or mustard (mustard was served as a dry powder), the styling is around the 1830/40 period, but such items also became popular again during the late Victorian/Edwardian period and the majority we see today are from this period.

This made be smile, I get the sentiment, but images you find while searching for something aren't usually random these days, you find them because someone went to a lot of trouble and/or expense to make sure you could find them.

18. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

It would be interesting to have the OP provide more details. Presumably the small horse/shell attachments would have held spoons so perhaps jam or caviar rather than bottles?

KSW, Any Jewelry and Bakersgma like this.
  19. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

They would most likely be for salt or dry mustard powder, caviar is usually served in bigger dishes which are also cooled.

DragonflyWink likes this.
  20. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

That does look like a spoon under the Pegasus at the front. It’s very nice, I’d look after it :)

Aquitaine likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted