What kind of chair is this?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Jackie78, Jun 25, 2022.

1. Jackie78

Jackie78 New Member

Hello everyone!

What kind of chair is this known as? Other than a corner chair obviously.

Does it have it value? It’s not very heavy so I don’t think it’s solid wood.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Jackie

Attached Files:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. PepperAnna

PepperAnna Well-Known Member

The carving is beautiful, and it looks Victorian, but the cherub face doesn't seem exactly right to me for an antique. It would be interesting to see pics of the bottom. The construction would give clues to the age of the piece.

I found this on icollector.com. Looks exactly like yours. It was sold as a reproduction.

Capture.JPG

Any Jewelry likes this.
  3. Jackie78

Jackie78 New Member

Thank you.

I saw that too and I believe it’s a reproduction as well. I’ve added a photo of the bottom. I’m looking to sell it, but I do not want to under or over sell it based on its worth.

Attached Files:

4. PepperAnna

PepperAnna Well-Known Member

I found a similar chair on a site called Oriental Furnishings for $449, another on Toscano for $650 (solid mahogany). The identical chair match to yours sold at auction for $75 way back in 2013. I think if you clearly sell it as a reproduction, it is a pretty chair in good condition and should sell. I can't tell what kind of wood it is, but that would be good to find out. That might help with your pricing decision. Good luck!

Any Jewelry and Roaring20s like this.
  5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Looks to be so-called plantation mahogany. Obvious reproduction and likely from Indonesia. No reason to believe it is not solid wood. As seen, expensive when new but just used furniture now. I think the $75.00 a realistic value, though you might get more in the right market. I would be tempted to list it at $150.00 and accept any realistic offer.

Any Jewelry and Roaring20s like this.
  6. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

Old or not, valuable or not, it looks of quality.

Draft saved Draft deleted