Featured What kind of Utrillo print is this?

Discussion in 'Art' started by samuelcaulfield1, Jul 25, 2019.

1. samuelcaulfield1

samuelcaulfield1 Well-Known Member

Hi all,

This a print by Utrillo and I wanted to use this example to find out what one should call these type of prints?

CCDE72C6-2F43-4CFE-8FE8-7FCEF0E0B725.jpeg 239D680E-23C5-4CC2-B830-6A5B058CA1B2.jpeg 5C3262AE-8C94-4636-8D02-1D04208F04D1.jpeg FA92C149-AE1A-476F-A448-B40DD09250EA.jpeg

It seems like they put varnish on the print to make it look like an original but the thicker parts of the varnish do not even correspond to where the thick brush strokes should be..?

Thanks for the help.

Sam

2. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Textured canvas print?

3. RichardE

RichardE New Member

4. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

Is it printed on the canvas? Or on paper that's been glued to the canvas?

5. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Back in the 1970s I started to take prints and covered them with acrylics using tiny brush strokes. They looked like paintings and I used a lot of magazine covers also. Once popped into antique frames from a distance they looked "real". When I first moved in to my retirement village I was introduced to one of "old timers" who lived here. She was showing us around her house and I saw a picture that looked so familiar. I asked her about it and she said her husband bought it for her for a anniversary. I asked if I could see the back and I told her I think you will see my initials and the year 74. As she took it down and turned it over there was my three initials and the number 74. I explained what had happened. The woman was so astonished that I knew about it. She had always thought it was from 1874 due to the antique frame. We had a really good laugh about it all. It was a print from Denmark showing two Victorian women walking on a beach in long white dresses. We had a long laugh about it and are still friends today. I hope she wills it to me since I really liked the frame and hated selling it.
    greg

samuelcaulfield1, Jivvy and santiques like this.
  6. Houseful

Was it this Kroyer painting?
    ~
    B103A3C1-A8BE-49B5-B66E-4C39E3859FF3.jpeg

7. Jivvy

The one I found online with a good closeup appears to be offset lithograph on canvas. Yours, if the same, also has textured varnish.

temp01.jpg

samuelcaulfield1 and scoutshouse like this.
  8. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

If you look you can see the clear acrylic brush strokes from black to cream.

downloadfile_1564079628674.jpg

Also, you'll probably will see dots from photo mechanical process - all framed up like that looks too vintage for glicee...

samuelcaulfield1 likes this.
  9. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Houseful,
    The very one!!!!!!!!
    greg

10. Jivvy

Or that. Sorry, I totally missed your post earlier.

11. Houseful

One that sticks in your mind.

scoutshouse and samuelcaulfield1 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted