What language is this? German or...?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Pat P, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

The front of this postcard has printed text that's in German as well as the logo of a German publisher, but the handwritten message on the back doesn't seem consistent with my limited knowledge of German gained many years ago in college. Is it German? An Eastern European language? Scandinavian?

I'm assuming the date is October 13, 1919 and not October 19, 1913 going by European date notation. Is that right?

Also, does the text identify any locations?

Thanks... :)

temp-pc.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

latin...........maybe.

Pat P likes this.
  3. komokwa

Figtree3 and Pat P like this.
  4. komokwa

or Zu...... Iraqi..

Figtree3 and Pat P like this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It's German from what I can read, but that handwriting looks about as "good" as mine.

Bakersgma and Pat P like this.
  6. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Thanks... makes sense since the card itself is German.

I tried entering words into a translator, but had so much trouble figuring out what the letters were, thanks to the handwriting, I gave up. :wacky:

7. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Komo, I have no idea if you were being serious or joking!!!??? Of course, it looked like Greek to me!!! :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
    Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
  8. komokwa

i know just enuf german to be dangerous.....but I couldn't find any words that made sense to me....so I tried other words....:wacky::wacky::wacky::woot:

9. komokwa

but now i think I see Fil Dunka......many thanks....so....German it is !

10. morgen94

morgen94 Well-Known Member

While I haven’t figured out all of the words, I can see many German words, such as”Meine Liebe L——“ in the greeting (My dear L——). I assume the word before the date is a location, but I am not yet sure what that is.

Just as an FYI, the second word from the left in the sixth line from the bottom is “finden” (“find”) followed by “ist” (“is”). The middle word in the line right below the faint horizontal blue line is “jetzt” (“now”). Under the word “Danke” mentioned above is “Deinen” (“your”).

I have also been able to pick out other small words here and there, but the cats are lined up and glaring at me, to let me know they want food NOW.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
  11. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I think there can be quite a bit of regional disparity in German writing.

komokwa and kyratango like this.
  12. komokwa

And speaking !
    when I lived there for 6 weeks , I heard several regional dialects .
    It became easy to pick out where someone was from...

Draft saved Draft deleted