Featured What material is this? How to clean?

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by TSG, Nov 4, 2022.

1. TSG

TSG New Member

This sculpture has been in my family for 50 years or so—I’ve been told it was done by an artist in Canada and was a gift to my family.

Can anyone tell me what this material is? And, based on that, any recommendations on how to safely clean and restore its luster?

It also was originally attached to a wooden base. Any recommendations for a safe type of glue or adhesive I could use to reattach?

Thanks A6E81870-80CF-4F26-A2E1-8A99C86C0A78.jpeg for your help!

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's a Canadian Inuit stone carving...

@Mark London

is there writing on the bottom?

3. TSG

TSG New Member

Thanks @komokwa — the artist’s name is on the bottom — see new photo.

Would this most likely be soapstone then? DCC704E2-47F4-4832-B144-4C5693EDC432.jpeg

4. komokwa

it could be a type of basalt.....

they don't sign a wood base , that was added on by the last owner..
    his mark would be etched into the stone.

reader, TSG and judy like this.
  5. PepperAnna

PepperAnna Well-Known Member

The stone is soapstone. It is a soft, but fragile, stone that is easy to carve. It starts out being light gray but takes on the characteristic dark charcoal color after being oiled or waxed.

Here are some steps for cleaning and restoring the finish to the sculpture:
    1. Begin by using a dry, soft cloth to rub over the surface of the sculpture. Remember to support all areas as you work. This will remove any surface dirt or dust.
    2. Mix a few drops of mild detergent with water in a small dish.
    3. Moisten a soft cloth with the cleaning mixture and rub it over the surface.
    4. Rinse the cloth and rub it over the surface with clean water to remove any excess soapy residue.
    5. Allow the piece to air dry.
    6. To restore the shine, place a few drops of mineral oil on the soft cloth.
    7. Gently rub it over the surface of the piece. Again, remember to support it fully as you work.
    8. Continue applying the mineral oil, adding more to the cloth as needed, until the entire piece is covered.
    9. Use a dry, clean cloth to remove any excess oil from the surface.
    10. Allow the piece to dry.
    11. For more difficult stains and dirt build-up, it may take several cleanings.
    Additional tips:
    • Although soapstone sculptures look durable, they are fragile and need to be handled carefully. Always fully support your sculpture when handling, especially parts of the sculpture that protrude, like an outstretched arm.
    • Display soapstone sculptures away from air vents and doors.
    • Minor surface scratches can be buffed out carefully with a fine grade sandpaper. Gently rub the sandpaper over the scratched area. Follow with the cleaning and polishing steps.
    • Never use abrasive cleaning products to clean a soapstone sculpture. They will cause scratches on the surface.
    • Don't use olive oil or other food grade oils on your sculpture as they can deteriorate and become rancid.

6. TSG

TSG New Member

PepperAnna likes this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Was it lustrous when your family first got it? The surface looks fine to me. Unless it is very grimey I would just dust it.
    And I wouldn't advise using sandpaper on an authentic Inuit piece, or many other pieces for that matter.

Before you proceed with any cleaning, rubbing, glueing, it is best to wait for @Mark London , his advice is best.

As an aside:
    We have heard the rancid olive oil theory here before and it has been discussed every time, us European members have never had olive oil go rancid. I haven't had other food grade oils go rancid either. Is it a US problem?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2022
    TSG, komokwa, J Dagger and 1 other person like this.
  8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I've heard that same old adage as well, AJ and have no idea.....but have also never taken the chance when oiling a lovely wood surface on a center island in the kitchen....ALWAYS have used mineral oil and NEVER a problem....! It's still wet...waiting for a bit more to sink in....been a while since I oiled it :rolleyes:

C ISLAND.jpg

Last edited: Nov 5, 2022
  9. reader

reader Well-Known Member

It has happened to me. Olive oil has gone rancid. I only use it for cooking and would never use it on any surface.

TSG, Any Jewelry and Aquitaine like this.
  10. reader

reader Well-Known Member

I have little experience with soapstone but I agree on the olive oil having had some go bad and stink but I do question using any (even fine) abrasive.

11. reader

reader Well-Known Member

I agree that mineral oil is not a problem. All I oil with olive oil is my digestive track.

12. Any Jewelry

:joyful:

PepperAnna, TSG and reader like this.
  13. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Gorgeous!

14. reader

reader Well-Known Member

No clue but assumed it was a universal problem with olive oil. I only buy premium EVOO-usually CA but sometimes Italian, Greek or Spanish and have definitely tossed bottles toward the end so I buy smaller bottles. I do live in sunbelt which may be part of the issue.

PepperAnna and TSG like this.
  15. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Agreed. Looks good to me! OP You may want to show the whole thing. Folks can probably tell you what he is doing and maybe ID the artist and era if you show the bottom.

PepperAnna, Any Jewelry, TSG and 2 others like this.
  16. komokwa

she's lovely.......a strong presence !:happy:

PepperAnna, TSG and Aquitaine like this.
  17. Any Jewelry

That is gorgeous, Aqui.:woot::woot::happy:
    So do I. Only Spanish or Australian. My bottles have to last ages because I am on a low fat diet.
    That could be it. I remember when we lived in Australia my mother kept the olive oil in the fridge, and would only take it out a half hour or so before she used it.

PepperAnna, Aquitaine and komokwa like this.
  18. PepperAnna

PepperAnna Well-Known Member

Olive oil and other food grade oils can become rancid when exposed to light, oxygen, or elevated temperature for a long period of time. Oxidation causes peroxides and free radicals to form in the oil, leading to rancidity.

TSG likes this.
  19. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

Are there any markings on the stone base? There are several artists by that name.Additional info might help narrow it down.

TSG likes this.
  20. TSG

TSG New Member

Thanks, everybody— I’ll take some more photos and post here shortly!

Draft saved Draft deleted