What`s it ?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by daveydempsey, Sep 10, 2016.

1. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Nickel plated brass, 3½" in length, unscrew the centre knob and slide it one way and a blade similar to a scalpel appears slide it the other way and a graduated solid point /spike.
    Registered No 685838

001.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG

KingofThings likes this.
  2. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Carving tool? Too dull edges for a surgery instrument plus when you are slicing up a dude or dudette a surgeaon ain't gonna take the time to turn that around while the other end is UNsteralized! I think even in the Civil War the Docs had a tray laid out with specific (whiskey) sterilized cutting instruments!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
    KingofThings likes this.
  3. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

With that point end - I think carving tool - or for the ancient coin people - maybe a "decruster" for ancient coin cleaning?

KingofThings likes this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Reminds me of an Exacto knife.

KingofThings likes this.
  5. daveydempsey

I should have included the previous keeper was a retired senior nurse who had lots of medical equipment in her home.
    Her hobbies were knitting, crocheting. lace making and baking.
    Its not for coins.

KingofThings likes this.
  6. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

I'de hate to have her as a nurse!!

KingofThings likes this.
  7. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

I remember getting into trouble when I was a little kid for playing with one like that!

It belonged to my grandmother. Since she wasn't involved in any way in the medical field, I'm wondering if it might have been a seam ripper? (She DID sew...)

Rayo56 and KingofThings like this.
  8. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

May be an attachment for a cased drafting set. Anyway, I don't think your piece was meant to be used on its own, rather it is a part of something else.

komokwa, KingofThings and SBSVC like this.
  9. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Spring, that could be it, too!

My grandmother might have had my mom's drafting tools from when she was in design school...

I just remember un-screwing that little knob, letting the blade drop forward, putting it back, etc, etc, etc...

KingofThings likes this.
  10. daveydempsey

Good answer Spring, I see what you mean, but I`ve yet to see similar one on an image search for drafting or draughting tools or sets.
    Some craft knives had a screw top to release a blade but I`ve not seen one with a spike at the other end.

My dad thinks its a medical boil lancing tool:arghh:

KingofThings likes this.
  11. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

My thought was similar to Bakers.....a scribe and Exacto...........

12. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Don't know, but seam ripper sounds like a possibility to me. That one end might look like an exacto blade, but I doubt it was made for cutting. That was very well used - look at the wear to the plating. It would have been useless for cutting long before it got that much wear.

13. tom_412

tom_412 Member

It could be a woodworking marking knife / scratch awl.

14. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

[​IMG]

posted on Etsy...

AWL, Knife, Punch, Slide, Double ended, Retractable, Vintage Tool, Stainless Steel, Non magnetic, Leather Work, Pat Mar 29 10
    Ask a question
    Overview
    • Vintage Supply from the 1920s
    • Materials: Vintage Tool, Awl, Knife, Punch, Slide, Double ended, Retractable, Stainless Steel, Non magnetic, Leather Work, Pat Mar 29 10
    This little treasure arrived in a lot of crochet hooks. My first impression is that it might be a leather working tool.

And another with the same description.....more or less....
    [​IMG]

We're gettin there.......;)......slowly....

OK...I'm toast......I found en.....you guys figure out what they are !!!

Night , night !!!

SBSVC, daveydempsey and cxgirl like this.