Featured What sport are my Okimono father and son wanting to play?

Discussion in 'Art' started by J Dagger, Feb 4, 2020.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

60889462-B5AF-455C-81D6-FEA1CBB77127.jpeg Son looks like he’s wanting to play cricket or a baseball like sport. Dad looks like he’s playing croquet or gateball but he also has a long staff. I’m guessing the vessels at their feet would tell me more if I knew what they were? Also curious as to why the artist would use such a different looking piece of material for the vessel in front of the boy? Later replacement maybe?

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Fun piece, J. I know nothing of sports played in Japan, but the son certainly looks like his father.

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

looks like they're going to make food..

blooey, J Dagger and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The father's scoop looks more to do with drinking, but the ball in the boy's hand?

Does the lid on the container on the left come off?

J Dagger and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. J Dagger

My mind went to sports immediately. Maybe I shouldn’t have taken it out for the first time day after Super Bowl. What do you think a ball of dough maybe? For noodles or dumplings? I guess the vessels would make more sense going on that direction.

kyratango and komokwa like this.
  6. J Dagger

Yeh I just saw ball and “bat” and ran with it. Komokwa may be on to something though.
    The lid doesn’t come off with light effort. I’m not willing to give it more than that.

komokwa likes this.
  7. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

I think the whole piece is quite late in the production of such things - detail doesn't look Meiji period.

kyratango, Any Jewelry and J Dagger like this.
  8. J Dagger

Without having a lot of experience here I guessed towards end of Meiji or a bit after.

9. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

These things are hard to date and I'm not sure when they quit making them. Meiji ones tend to have very fine detail, and are often one-piece, especially in the figures - look at the hands arms of yours, not much detail and added pieces ..that, to me signifies a later piece - did you see the one I posted a few weeks ago?

This one was late Meiji.

https://www.antiquers.com/threads/ivory-okimomo-new-year-first-find.45392/#post-1442034

Any Jewelry and J Dagger like this.
  10. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

The boy seems to be standing on a larger ladle. Could it be churning butter?

J Dagger likes this.
  11. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Do they traditionally use butter in Japan?

J Dagger likes this.
  12. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Not a clue. Cheese?

J Dagger likes this.
  13. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Don't think China and Japan are big on milk products.

kyratango, Any Jewelry and J Dagger like this.
  14. J Dagger

I knew that solid vs. multiple pieces had a significant impact on value but I didn’t realize that it spoke to the age. That’s good to note. I also noticed that more care seems to go into most of the solid examples which makes sense. I didn’t count the individual pieces on this one but it’s more than few. I purchased a big handful of carvings and the per piece price was almost ridiculously low. Considering the price I paid I’m very happy with the quality here. There are definitely much finer examples out there though I agree with you there.

I like your monkey.

15. J Dagger

Not sure I see a ladle. Do you mean the base? It’s curvy and wavy and is two joined pieces so maybe it gives the impression of something more? As a fan of Japanese food (at least what I can get here in the US) I know they don’t use much dairy now. I have no idea however if it was more commonly used in a different period. It could also possibly be used by certain groups and not by the masses. It wouldn’t have been my first guess but it does kinda look like a butter churn now that you mention it. I’m still inclined to say it would be something else if they are indeed preparing food but I see what you’re saying for sure.

16. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

The dad appears to have a water dipper (ladle) in one hand.

J Dagger likes this.
  17. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Misconception about milk products in modern Japan.... http://www.crosscurrents.hawaii.edu...japan&theme=food&subtheme=CROPS&unit=JFOOD019

https://www.google.com/search?q=mil...WZZ80KHawHC8wQ_AUoAnoECA8QBA&biw=1266&bih=723

Can't tell what era the carving portrays,but the Japanese had dairy farms in the Meiji era mostly catering to the influx of Europeans.

J Dagger likes this.
  18. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Japanese...... think rice cake....the kid is holding a Mochi....with a pounder , next to a mortar.... dad has the long end of the pounder.....

upload_2020-2-5_0-59-45.jpeg
    and is at the ready with water to add to the mix...

You know these Ivory diorama's are important daily life carvings & Mochi is very important to the Japanese...

Mochi (Japanese: 餠, もち) is Japanese rice cake made of mochigome, a short-grain japonica glutinous rice, and sometimes other ingredients such as water, sugar, and cornstarch. The rice is pounded into paste and molded into the desired shape. In Japan it is traditionally made in a ceremony called mochitsuki.

19. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

The "father" has a ladle as it is hollow inside.A mochi hammer is solid wood.

Any Jewelry and J Dagger like this.
  20. J Dagger

589D907E-D6C3-4658-AB31-BBE177FAD89C.jpeg
    Woo! That’s it, mochitsuki! Yum! I feel very silly thinking they were playing, oh well. I’ll have to buy some mochi next time I’m at a store that has some. Arigatou!

The photo is another example.

kyratango likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted