Featured what the funk is this stone ?, carving or not ?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by charlie cheswick, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

If it is a fossilized something or other, could be that a head part broke away before fossilization was complete.

2. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

yeah possible

im still 50/50 on whether it is a fossil, not like any i can see

cant hurt shooting a post to the fossil guys,

will post a link when i've done it so you can see what they have to say

Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  3. charlie cheswick

its not a million miles away in terms of structure, definite similarities

for what ever reason egyptian was the first thing i thought when i found it

yrtuu.jpg

4. charlie cheswick

Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Interesting stone, charlie.
    Charlie, when you hold it up to the light, do you see a slight translucency around the edges of your stone? If so, google lechatelierite, which is a tektite, like the glass stone in the article.
    There are tektites on all continents. Lechatelierite is a meteorite impact tektite from Arizona.
    Most tektites, like the Libyan glass stone from the article, are translucent to transparent. Tektites can be the result of a volcanic eruption, lightning strike, or a meteorite impact. I don't know why the Hindustan Times speaks of a mystery, I have had a Libyan glass pendant for about 20 years, and always knew it was a proper tektite from a meteorite impact.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  6. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Very interesting!
    Makes me think of cicada amulets, used to be placed in dead's mouth in ancient China funeral rituals.
    Just a guess:)

7. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

8. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Suggestion #2: overheated faience? There does seem to be a more translucent layer over a more granular layer.

9. charlie cheswick

hi Aj, where ya bin ?, been worried about ya !!

its absolutely opaque, even around edges, so i guess its not that

do you reckon fossil or carved ?

10. charlie cheswick

thanks krya, interesting. will look into that

if there was anyone who knew their bugs !!!

Christmasjoy, Bronwen and kyratango like this.
  11. charlie cheswick

Christmasjoy, Bronwen and kyratango like this.
  12. charlie cheswick

13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

brown jade......hummm...... good call.

14. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

A bit under the weather, so I just barge in with the occasional soundbite.:D

KSW, kyratango, say_it_slowly and 4 others like this.
  15. charlie cheswick

The place don't feel the same without ya !

Hope your feeling better soon

Charlie

16. Bronwen

Again, I think it is too symmetrical to have been created by random processes like meteor impacts or swirling water. It is possible it is glass, also looks to me like it could be ceramic. I would have more idea if I had it in hand & could feel weight, texture(s), etc.

17. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I hope you feel much better, very soon! :kiss:

18. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

I'll offer a skeptical viewpoint: I think it is just a rock.
    The carved Chinese items linked above look like carvings; this does not, and does not show any evidence of any area having ever been carved.
    Natural processes frequently do produce symmetrical items, and it is not uncommon to find rocks that look like something. If this was a carving, I'd have some major questions: was it carved intentionally to just be a blob? Why? If it was carved to actually look like an owl, how has it gotten worn to the point that it now looks like it does?
    Do we know any cultures of the past that carved stone owls? If so, are the surviving examples just blobs, or do they look like owls? Either way, there are issues. I can't imagine an entire culture producing carvings only to use them all to the point that their features are worn away; on the other hand, I can't imagine that there would be only one worn example found, with all others being undamaged. The Chinese cicadas are a good example; those Chinese carvings do look carved; there are many examples, and they are consistent in appearance; they aren't just blobs; we know the culture that made them.
    But I'm not actually aware of any tradition of owl-carving anywhere. Maybe others are....

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  19. Bronwen

Think consensus is coming around to its looking more like a beetle/cicada; owl is just a first impression.

My gut says this is something meant to look like it came from an archeological dig, but didn't.

Along the lines of some of these:

http://www.collector-antiquities.com/real-or-fake/fake-egyptian/fake-scarabs.html

20. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Hope the weather changes and you can get out from under it !!! :happy::happy::happy::happy:

Draft saved Draft deleted