What to do about people touching photos?

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by spartcom5, Feb 8, 2020.

1. spartcom5

spartcom5 Well-Known Member

Was just at a flea market and bought an amazingly old cabinet photo of a sightseeing vehicle in my local city! No pictures yet but the person I bought it from was touching the actual photograph with their fingers! Several times actually, so my question is should I wipe the photo off with say a cotton ball? Or what?

Christmasjoy and Ghopper1924 like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Are you concerned about germs or smudges?

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

yes...soft cloth.....

4. komokwa

finger oils....of fried chicken......or unsanitary bathroom practices...

Christmasjoy and anundverkaufen like this.
  5. spartcom5

spartcom5 Well-Known Member

Finger print smudges from oil that develop over time! It happens and I have seen many on old images...

6. Bakersgma

I think a better answer for the finger oil concern would come from @Figtree3 . But I'm pretty sure she is away from home this week, so don't know if she will be able to see this question before she gets home.

Christmasjoy, Ghopper1924 and komokwa like this.
  7. komokwa

or our new photog..... @Vintage Maven ......
    but she's under the weather right now.....

8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

See-through envelopes. They can handle the plastic all they want. That's how I often see anything good sold.

9. Vintage Maven

Vintage Maven Well-Known Member

Yes, I am most certainly under the weather. I just awoke, and decided to log in. Do a digital scan of your old photo always (A good back-up). From all I know about Cabinet Card Photos, gently brushing them off with a super soft brush (ie: Camera lens brush), if you do this though, test on a small corner to see if you have any sort of brush streak, stop immediately if you do. If this photo is very valuable either fiduciary or personal, please take it to a photo restoration specialty through a local camera shop or more higher end photo processing shop. I hope this is helpful, now I must go and rest. ❤️Maven

10. morgen94

morgen94 Well-Known Member

I just bought a book titled "Preserving Your Family Photographs" from Gaylord Archival Supplies, to help residents who come to our local history museum with simple questions about that topic. Page 67 states: "Handling prints and negatives without gloves allows a thin layer of oils to build up on the surface. This moisture attracts dust and adheres to the surface...If your contemporary prints have been handled without gloves, gently clean off the surface using a lint free soft cloth."

The bibliography in the book lists a reference titled Fingerprints on Photographs, which will tell you more than you will want to know about the potential damage from the fingerprints on your photograph, but not much about cleaning them off the photograph.

Figtree3 and Bakersgma like this.
  11. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I'm making things up. Do they still make that very thin paper that came in little sheets & is meant to carry with you to blot the shine off your nose? You just press it down, don't wipe, & it does suck up oil.

Corn starch allowed to sit a while, maybe very gently rubbed in, removed with Maven's very soft brush?

Neither method would sanitize it, but might mitigate the grime accumulation skin oils invite. Cameos get grubby the same way. Some are so bad, people must have been pressing them to their nose.

12. komokwa

Finger oils....soft cloth...........& I didn't even need to read no book !!:meh:

kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  13. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  14. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

the problem isn't limited to grease/oil but also a problem of the acid that is in our natural sweat.

Bronwen likes this.
  15. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Hi, @spartcom5 -- You can be assured that many many people touched the photo before the dealer did. Cabinet photos are well over 100 years old.

I never clean the photos in my collection, although if you use information from a professional and reputable source, you could try it. I just try to preserve them for the present and future.

16. Figtree3

Thanks, @Bakersgma . You are correct, I was out of town last week. And then on the way back on Sunday, Chicago was struck by a storm. It turned out to not be a big deal type of storm but my flight was cancelled and I got home yesterday (Monday) about this time.

17. Bakersgma

Glad you got home safe and sound, Fig!

18. Figtree3

Thank you, Bakersgma!

Vintage Maven and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted