Featured What to do with a c1940 National Reverse-w Portable Sewing Machine with Case?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Ladybranch, Sep 13, 2015.

1. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

After seeing Shangas sewing machine posting this morning, I thought I'd toss up my mother's earliest sewing machine for ideas of what to do with it. It is a 1939-1941 National Reverse-w portable sewing machine with a black case. DH says it would make a fine boat anchor. :( I just don't want to dump it. I really don't think it is of much value and its weight would probably make shipping cost higher than it's value. It isn't as ornate as Shangas', but it isn't rusted and probably stills works. The cord is too worn for me to even want to plug it up. The cord covering has melted severely in places because it was stored in an attic here in the South for 3 to 4 decades. The case has a tear and has come apart at one of the corners from the attic heat.

I did up a webpage about it back in 2013 in hopes of someday donating it somewhere. I had forgotten about the webpage still being up until I read Shangas posting. Here is a link to the page that has pics and description.
    http://home.earthlink.net/~filearchives/nsmco/ReversewRUSA.html

Do feel free to suggest anything that doesn't cost me any money. Also if you side with DH on an anchor say so, but duck before I bop you on the head or "slap you silly." I know some will suggest local Craig's list, which is probably the best way to go, but as most of you know I don't sell. Of course if someone wants to fly down here or over here to pick it up I'll gladly give you room and board for a night.

--- Susan

upload_2015-9-13_9-32-4.png

Figtree3, komokwa and KingofThings like this.
  2. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Actually, those sewing machines that I inherited (3 or 4) that proved of low value I donated to local sewing "circles" - Park District programs that teach the needle arts. Got rid of about a gazillion knitting needles and crochet hooks that was as well. You could always list it as Free on Craigslist or FreeCycle if the $ don't matter.

KingofThings likes this.
  3. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

I would love it! But no clue how to get it.
    If you were in TN I might.

4. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

Whatcha got there is a vibrating shuttle machine, 1930s-1950s (due to the HIGH amount of iron they used, sewing machines were rare during the war).

I'm not sure about Nationals, but with old Singers, what you can do is remove the electrics (chuck 'em completely), change the balance-wheel from a solid to a spoked one (see my thread), and then clamp on a hand-crank attachment.

Depending on the configuration of your machine, a similar operation may be possible.

That said, I speak with no expertise on Nationals. I know they exist and I know that they're rather well-regarded in the 'States, but that's about all I know.

KingofThings likes this.
  5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I don't know where you are, but here in the rural areas of CA we have a lot of quilters clubs.
    They particularly like the Singer Featherweight as it is compact and they can take it to meetings and sew.

This appears to be of the same size, and while not as collectible as the Featherweight, it might command a decent price to someone who can't afford a Featherweight.

Msalicia and KingofThings like this.
  6. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

>I donated to local sewing "circles" - Park District programs that teach the needle arts.<

That is a good idea. There isn't such a program in our small town, but as we are in the Memphis, TN metropolitan area I'm sure there are such programs in Memphis.

>Free on Craigslist or FreeCycle<

I've never done Craigslist. Can you list for free? If so, that also is a good idea. Thank you, Mansons, for the ideas.

>I would love it! But no clue how to get it.
    If you were in TN I might. <

I'm a mile south of the MS-TN state line - in the Memphis, metro area. Are you in the western 1/3 of Tennessee? If you are in easy striking range of Jackson, TN, there is a possibility we could meet you in that vicinity.

>chuck 'em completely <

Thank you for the interesting post, Shangas! As to chucking motor, electrics, and doing the wheel thing - not me.

>...quilters clubs...<
    Gee, Pat/Clutter, I don't know. I do suspect there are sewing clubs in the area. I'll have to look around.

>This appears to be of the same size, and while not as collectible as the Featherweight, it might command a decent price to someone who can't afford a Featherweight.<

I can lift it, but would hate to carry it very far with my back. With the carrying case usable, more or less still in tack, it is certainly portable. In comparing this National Reversew to Singer's Featherweight, I read

"To answer the Singer Featherweight, National produced its own ... portable in 1939 but it was never the success of the 221 and later 222 models from the Singer factory."

Thank y'all for the suggestions and taking the time to reply!

--- Susan

KingofThings likes this.
  7. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Craigslist is free - totally free. You can list in the for sale section or you can list in the Free section. Just do yourself a favour and make arrangements to meet anyone in a public place - many here use the local police precinct (with their blessings) or in a busy car park, even double parked in front of a busy shop, etc. There have been "instances" of violence, etc regarding Craigslist, but with a reasonably low value item I would not be concerned. I use CL all the time and have never had a problem meeting people at my front door which is right on the sidewalk. For more valuable portable items I meet at the local fast food joint - the bonus is an order of crispy, hot french fried potatoes.................

KingofThings likes this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I trust they pay..........for the fries that is ! :hilarious:

KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted