Featured What Type of Stone Is This?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Shwikman, May 5, 2019.

1. Shwikman

Shwikman Well-Known Member

It’s a milky green/brown with orange flecks. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Thank You!
    86BEB0D4-CF5E-407C-B68A-5BC679CD61A0.jpeg 2655B05B-EF54-45F2-B70F-135074874BBA.jpeg 488E0A3F-ADC2-4B79-8D2D-60A9C642D5C0.jpeg

2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

bloodstone/Heliotrope

3. Shwikman

That was fast!!

Thank You very much!!

Christmasjoy, judy and kyratango like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Very nice ring, Shwikman, but don't you want to know who made it? Or do you know already?
    Anyway, it looks like it was made by Henry Hyde Aston in Birmingham in 1863.:)
    9k gold and heliotrope as Holly said.

Last edited: May 5, 2019
  5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Heliotrope was used a lot in seals. Wondering if this was designed to be a small signet ring but never engraved.

6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Having just caught up on the overnight posting to spartcom's thread about another Birmingham gold ring, let me raise the question - how can this be 1863 when there is no monarch's head?

7. Bronwen

That does seem the right year for the date letter:

https://theassayoffice.com/date-letters

8. Any Jewelry

Same reply as in the other thread:;)
    I read some time ago that compulsory marking of gold jewellery was a relatively late thing in Britain, but of course I can't find it now.

Most of my 19th century British rings are only marked 9ct or something basic like that. I have two British Georgian pieces of gold jewellery (well three, one is a pair of earrings) that are not marked at all. Maybe something to do with the weight?

Christmasjoy, Bronwen and kyratango like this.
  9. Bronwen

10. Any Jewelry

@Ownedbybear 's clarification on the gold jewellery marking question:
    "It was weight dependent - under 1g for gold, from memory, was exempt.

Yes, monarch's head goes on gold as well. That 9 and .375 was introduced as standard in 1932."

Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  11. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

12. Any Jewelry

13. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

According to this bio, (which I can’t confirm as accurate) his son continued using this mark. He died in 1916. So a search to see if this mark was continued after that may be definitive in dating.

H.A", with the dot centered vertically between the H and the A is the makers mark for Henry Hyde Aston. Henry registered his company in 1862 at 12 Regent Place, Birmingham. His father Thomas Aston, half brother William Aston, and brother Charles Hyde Aston were also silversmiths - jewelers, operating out of the same 12 Regent Place address. Henry died in 1869 and use of his mark was continued by Charles Hyde Aston, who specialized in wedding rings. When Charles Hyde Aston died in 1876, his son Charles Henry Aston (1869-1916), continued to manufacture wedding rings.
    https://www.beautifulantiquejewelry...from-edwardian-1908-to-1909-in-wide-rose-gold

Just realized I left out older, Charles Henry, but HIS son of the same name continued. :singing:

Last edited: May 5, 2019
  14. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

15. Shwikman

That is great! Thank You!
    I don’t really know much about the ring. Most everything else in this estate that’s real gold or of any significance was set aside or in safe deposit. This was in a small box in a drawer full of costume jewelry/odds n ends(I’ll try to post some stuff later). In the box with it was a little jade pendant that doesn’t seem anyway related to the ring.
    The ring does look pretty beat-up, like maybe something that was found in a field somewhere. Also, I don’t have any proper English ancestors as far as I know but it’s very possible, or even likely somebody may have traveled there.

Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  16. Any Jewelry

Doesn't matter, improper ones also owned jewellery sometimes.:playful:

Bronwen, Shwikman and i need help like this.
  17. Shwikman

I’m
    Got Me!!

Here’s the little jade ‘droplet’ that was with the ring:
    464E5D75-3108-498A-833E-5DCE0C237E0D.jpeg

Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  18. Any Jewelry

That is really lovely, Shwikman. It could be from New Zealand. Did any (im)proper relatives ever travel Down Under? What is the size?

Jivvy, Shwikman and Bronwen like this.
  19. Shwikman

Just a little one:
    A3BB0826-A5FB-4314-88DD-8DA63256C1E9.jpeg
    I haven’t found any overly festive boomerangs or anything so I’m not sure if anyone traveled to Oz or NZ.
    I can say I’ve very familiar with Big Sur jade and this seems very similar. I’m not suggesting it is from Big Sur, just saying that appears to be a match in terms of geology.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  20. Any Jewelry

What does the mark on the top of the bail say?

Shwikman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted