Featured What type or name of furniture

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Antiquated1, Sep 28, 2021.

1. Antiquated1

Antiquated1 New Member

I hope I’m doing this right since I’m not that good with technology. That’s a crazy thing to say these days since it’s 2021 I know.. but I’m old. Ha

I’m trying to figure out what or rather how to word my search for dressers with a solid wood bottom instead of the fancy valance skirt that most I have found tend to have. I think it’s called a valance skirt anyway. I’ll include a couple pictures. One with the fancy skirt & one that’s solid like I’m looking for.
    [​IMG]
    the above is the solid wood skirt like I’m looking for the name of if there is such a name. And the below is the option that I already have & am looking to replace this style due to grandkids having small pets.
    [​IMG]
    I’ve been a long time watcher/reader of the forums but never needed to post or create an account until now. I’m looking to buy the solid wood bottom types but I am unsure how to word the search & have been unsuccessful in finding anything thus far. Thanks for any help ahead of time.

2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

3. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

The top photo is called a "Plinth" base.

"What is a plinth base in furniture?
    It is a plinth base, and it has become very popular in all types of design spaces. A plinth is defined as an architectural detail, usually a box or a platform in which, historically a column rests on. It adds a unique modern detail to a space. Here are some of our favorite spaces that incorporate plinth bases."

4. Fern77

Fern77 Well-Known Member

I've read the plinth thing in some catalogues, but when a piece has no legs or feet is also said to be a pedestal base. Your fancy skirt is generally interpreted as having bracket feet (the piece is raised on shaped, mostly two-dimensional, pieces of wood-- be it carved out of the same board as the apron or separate).

5. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

You might just contact a local carpenter and have him make you one.

Ghopper1924, Antiquated1 and Bronwen like this.
  6. Antiquated1

Antiquated1 New Member

Thank you & I’m happy to be a member in such a useful community of people.

7. Antiquated1

Antiquated1 New Member

Thank you to all that have replied & that have shown patience with my question. I will use my newfound knowledge on a plinth base & pedestal base & see what I can make happen. As for the carpenter option I haven’t had much luck in that department since the few that have taken the time to respond back to me have been overpriced for what I’m seeking. Or I think that to be the case anyway. They were asking more than what I would pay for an entire set of new cheap & new used set of antique ones. Ha

I really do like the looks of my old furniture & I’ve had them for a really long time & they are antiques like I am.. haha. So I didn’t want to replace them unless I had to & it seems that I now have a few more alternatives to seek out before I go that route.

Thanks again to everyone for the assistance & I hope you all have an amazing rest of your day.

LauraGarnet02 and lovewrens like this.
  8. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

There are often different names for furniture parts depending on where you are in the world.
    For example, "handles" in the UK are "brasses" or simply "pulls" here in the USA.
    They mean the same thing for the same furniture part (drawer/cabinet pulls/handles) but are named differently.
    The point being it matters where you are when it comes to furniture nomenclature.

Antiquated1 likes this.
  9. Antiquated1

Antiquated1 New Member

I’m in the USA & I’ve noticed that myself in my years on this earth. Flashlight in usa = torch in the uk, vehicle trunk in usa = boot in Australia etc. So with that in mind that makes sense for other things to carry over with furniture as well.

10. Antiquated1

Antiquated1 New Member

Also just to let anyone know that might still be watching this post. I happened to find a new used set of furniture to replace mine with.

The new/used set is working out great with the grandkids pets now & I still got to keep my set in my storage building as well. So I call that a win win in this world. But thank you all very much again for the help. Without you helping me I would likely still be searching for what I was looking for. Ha

But seriously, thank you all again. I hope you all have an amazing day.

BoudiccaJones and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  11. BoudiccaJones

BoudiccaJones Well-Known Member

As George Bernard Shaw said: two nations divided by a common language!

Antiquated1 likes this.
  12. Fern77

Fern77 Well-Known Member

Or as Dan Castallaneta (as Homer Simpson) said, "you've got the Rolling Stones, we've got the Beatles"

Antiquated1 and BoudiccaJones like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted