Featured What was this Moss Agate piece originally for?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Lucille.b, Apr 27, 2024.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Some of you may have read my previous post where I was on the search for Moss Agate jewelry for a gift in May, I found a Moss Agate brooch and added a pin adapter to it, but I wasn't totally sold on the final product as it sort of doesn't lay flat as a pendant (those pin adapters only work so well.)

Long story short, found this item below inexpensively in a lot of other items on Ebay, and I'm halfway thinking of adapting it into a necklace somehow. Can think of a few ways to do that. Either using just one link, two, or maybe all three. Not sure yet.

I'm curious what this piece would have been originally. Any guesses? Thanks.

moss.jpg

2. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

I'm no help, but the stones sure are pretty.

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Agree, great stones.
    If the bottom one had loops too, I would say a bracelet.

kyratango, mirana, Dessert58 and 3 others like this.
  4. Lucille.b

I really like these stones as well. Thanks Stracci and AJ.

The bottom one has no evidence of ever having any loops. It's totally smooth.

At first I was thinking it was something to do with an old watch, but now realize that probably doesn't make any sense.

5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Watch fob was my first, & only, thought.

6. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

They are lovely...an' will make a fine gift, no matter what you create with them. Please show us the finished piece!

kyratango, Owliza and Lucille.b like this.
  7. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Last edited: Apr 27, 2024
  8. Lucille.b

Thanks Bronwen, wlwhittier and Cheryl.

With watch fobs, how did they work? Would this part have been a decorative attachment that would hang out of the pocket?

That's an idea! Honestly it would make an interesting necklace pendant if all 4 were there. But the person receiving (I think) is more into a smaller look but we'll see! Good to have options.

I'm not married to this idea, but the person I'm giving this to is actually much more artistic than I am, and I was thinking I might just offer the pieces with a necklace chain (and include the other moss agate brooch) and just say, "choose", and we can make something together if she chooses the fob. I have jeweler's tools. She might say that she likes the brooch best, then I can do something with this fob.

I will definitely post back if we come up with something photo worthy!

Draft saved Draft deleted