Featured What were these Bohemian Ruby Flash Glass Bowls Used For?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by dgbjwc, Oct 1, 2019.

1. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hello Board Friends! I've got a set of six of these shallow bowls but I'm unsure of their use. They measures 7" across and 1 1/4" tall. I thought maybe ice cream bowls or shallow soup bowls. My only other thought was planter saucers but they seem a little too nice for that. There is a soft shoulder on the inside the bowl so they don't have straight sides. No sign of utensil marks or water stains. In my years of collecting ruby stain/flash I've never seen anything quite like these. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you!
    Don

IMG_20191001_110315654.jpg IMG_20191001_110321616.jpg IMG_20191001_110331389.jpg

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I think they are underplates for some sort of dessert.

3. clutteredcloset49

This is a Steuben one. Original posting is no longer available.
    upload_2019-10-1_8-47-57.png

Sandra likes this.
  4. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Thank you, cluttered. I considered it as an under plate but there's no indent. But I don't suppose an indent is a necessity.
    Don

5. clutteredcloset49

Christmasjoy, Sandra and scoutshouse like this.
  6. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Thank you, cluttered! A finger bowl underplate would seem to fit. It never would have crossed my mind without your help. You were very close on the center measurement - it came in at 5 1/4".
    Don

Christmasjoy, Sandra, judy and 2 others like this.
  7. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Could be for finger bowls ...but I see them as large underplates for possibly soup bowls or dinner plates, not necessarily glass dinner plates either ..or maybe they are simply glass dessert plates - why not?

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  8. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Quite right, blooey. Normally I wouldn't care but unfortunately I don't have the room to keep these so I'm trying to figure out a title for listing. Still, I am hosting a small luncheon soon with tomato basil soup and I'm considering using these...
    Don

9. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Finger bowl liners! Mai oui!! Where was my head? The minute I saw them, I thought finger bowls, but then I read the measurements. Not!

Personally, I would use them for Haagen Dasz Vanilla, Bing cherries, and whipped cream! Or, on the Fourth, blueberries. :)

10. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Gosh YES! use them at least once!

dgbjwc and Christmasjoy like this.
  11. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

The top image of Cluttered's posting from Ruby Lane looks closest, whatever that is!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes: At LEAST, the color/decoration is LOVELY!!!!:):):)

dgbjwc likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted