Featured What's Been Your Worst Purchase Mistake?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Barn Owl, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

I'm sure we have all decided not to buy something, only to regret it later. But what about the opposite? What about when you've bought something, only to regret it?

Today, I bought what I thought was a limoges cigarette box for $20 at a no-returns resale store. When I came home, I looked up the mark and realized... it was a fake. Still kicking myself over it.

What has been your worst purchase mistake?

2. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

For amount of dollar loss that would have to be UPS insurance

3. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Some Hawaii $1 Silver Certificates. Didn't have time to inspect properly at the beginning of the auction but stupidly bid anyway. Well I get them and the condition is really rough and they are only worth half of what I paid. Good way to throw $50 out the window. I try not to think about it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawaii_overprint_note

4. Barn Owl

What do you mean?

AJefferson and Joshua Brown like this.
  5. Barn Owl

I never heard of those until now. :( Sorry to hear that.

AJefferson and Joshua Brown like this.
  6. Catlovr

Catlovr Active Member

Tell you my worst giveaway, set of silver treasure coins of the Caribbean left in a bag that went to goodwill. So 20 × 1oz siver coins bye bye, somebody got a nice surprise.

7. Barn Owl

Ugh :(

8. Catlovr

Catlovr Active Member

Yah, I was sooo. Pissed, i outsmarted my kids, potential burglars and myself. Lol

9. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

About 10 years ago we had wood floors put in (Oh the black day!) and I had to pack everything up to clear the spaces. As I was going along,I had two boxes for donations and two of my very best stuff to keep.When they FINALLY got finished 3 weeks past the date and I started unpacking things I realized my best stuff had gone to Amvets,all the crap I didnt want stayed .I flew over there,but of course none was left. I literally wept!
    Worst buy I ever made was a fake $20 gold piece necklace.It looked right,it felt right,it was well marked,etc. It cost me $350 and was worth $20!

10. Catlovr

Catlovr Active Member

Ouch. No good deed goes unpunished. Kidding....

11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Let's set the bar high here....! ;)
    ( & no, this is no badge of honor...)

A couple of young adults walk in to my Art Gallery.
    They are on their way to Greenland and selling off their prized possessions .
    They show me a one piece hand carved walrus Ivory Inukshuk , mounted on a prized local rock, signed by a well known local ( 1st Nations ? ) artist.
    It's 9 1/2 inches tall.....the ivory is a little over 4 inches tall

They claim that his work of this style goes for $2500 or more up north of the Dempster Highway !
    They want $2300.....

I was touched by their plight, & impressed by their manner & demeanor.
    I offered them $1000, which they seemed genuinely uncomfortable with, but gracefully accepted.

My heart was in the right place, but I left my head ....somewhere outside on a park bench !! :banghead:
    They needed the money fast ( red flag) , as they had to catch a plane..( nuther red flag) , so I had no time to do my homework.

Ohhh, it's nice...& signed......& did I say nice......& still in the cabinet 3 feet away from me. !!!! :(

P1011755.JPG P1011758.JPG P1011763.JPG P1011765.JPG P1011770.JPG

12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Thank you for your service !! :):)

13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I think I'd rewrite your title to read "What has been your most expensive learning opportunity?"

Debora

14. Barn Owl

I don't think I can edit the title anymore.

Christmasjoy, judy and AJefferson like this.
  15. AJefferson

AJefferson Well-Known Member

Ooo, let's see ... probably the huge lot of about thirty baseball cards sets in binders and boxes I got at an online auction :woot::woot:... then to realize when I got them that there was at least a four or five key cards missing in each one :eek: :rage: ... some of them weren't even worth the money to buy the missing cards :(:sorry::banghead: ... live and learn ;)

Christmasjoy, judy and Barn Owl like this.
  16. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

I sent an item via United Parcel Service. I paid extra to them for insurance. They smashed it. They will not pay for their damage to my item. I'm out $1000. I will never ship anything with them again. I would recommend that no one use them.

17. Barn Owl

Ugh, I'm sorry to hear that :(

18. Barn Owl

:( I've bought baseball cards before, but I have no idea how to tell which ones are valuable or not.

19. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I never, ever use UPS! it seems every time I get a package from them it is damaged :mad:

20. AJefferson

AJefferson Well-Known Member

:mad::mad:
    :sorry:

Christmasjoy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted