Featured What's going on with this painting? Advice...

Discussion in 'Art' started by aaroncab, Oct 3, 2017.

1. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Bought this today - oil on board(I think)- didn't look to long at it in the store - after getting it home I see it's by Mara Tran-Long (Google is my friend - French b.1935). Also now noticed it has a coating that is gummed up and looks like it's kind of melting(see pics) - is this just a coating of varnish that has gone old/bad? Something worse? Worth getting the varnish removed professionally and re-varnished? For what I invested in it - I could even try doing it myself - has anyone here removed varnish themselves? Thanks again for your help/opinions.

~

37418846286_b843f4be33_k.jpg 36757084444_ff1e582a18_k.jpg 37208785300_caa4bad4da_k.jpg

2. buyingtime777

buyingtime777 Well-Known Member

I have heard of inexperienced cleaners damaging paintings. I wonder if this is a result of such a venture?

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Lovely painting.
    Tran Long sounds Vietnamese. Vietnam used to be part of French Indochina, so there is a French connection.;)

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I've heard of that too.

No... wait... I've done it. Leaving well enough alone is probably a good idea.

I think the surface may be dirty (like nicotine) but I'm not seeing any real trouble there.

5. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

i bet it was stored somewhere very hot,like an attic. Ive seen that before on other art,I tend to walk away because restoration is so expensive. That being said,she's lovely.

6. aaroncab

Thank you all for your input - I'm going to try a simple cleaning with Qtips and spit - we'll see how well that cleans it up.

7. aaroncab

Qtip with spit did very little - tried on a few spots - got off a very small amount of dirt/dust - but didn't touch the stuff that looks like melted varnish.

8. PACKRAT

PACKRAT Well-Known Member

You might be able to take this off with a few (very few) rubs with super fine 1000 grit auto body sand paper. 1 pass at a time and very little pressure.

9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

There were a fair number of Indo-Chinese, as they were called then, artists who went to study in Paris. It might be worth checking before messing with her. If he's one of the known ones, this might be starting to be worth money. The Vietnamese art market is starting to follow the Chinese one, or was the last I heard.

10. aaroncab

Thanks Ruth - I've done a bit of poking around on the net and quite a few of her works have sold at auction :

https://www.invaluable.com/artist/tran-long-mara-iujrqba5t6/sold-at-auction-prices/

I certainly don't want to damage it. I'll definitely see if I can find out more about what the market is like for her work today.

11. aaroncab

Bringing this thread back from the dead to say that I was in thrift store where I purchased this painting today - and I found it's sister! Same issues with the varnish as the other, but - I'm thrilled that I have the pair now!

Also there's a small spot on this one where the varnish has actually flaked off and you can see that the color is actually a light blue underneath - the yellowed varnish makes the whole thing look green/brown.

Anyhow, here she is - this time playing a flute!

~

23893109988_a60f1b7238_k.jpg

12. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Wow, how cool is that to find another one:) Good score Aaron!

13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

same store....likely same 1st owner......check for more !!

Draft saved Draft deleted