What's selling out there?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Northern Lights Lodge, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

I'm still working through disbursing a number of items from family estates. I had a very small booth at a local antiques shop; which closed last year when the owner retired... AND seemingly the market dried up. We only have "resale" shops locally now; which are mostly clothing and general brick-a-brack.

I also sold through ebay for years...but that seemingly has dropped off also. I've tried Craig's list (not my fave way to go); and local garage sale sites...nice as they are free and easy; but items get buried by the next post easily...and I find that sales are very hit and miss.

Is it just "me"... most of the stuff that I still have to unload falls into the late 1800's to mid-century range. A few pieces of glass, lots of linens, paper/cabinet cards... or is that kind of thing just not selling?

If it IS selling... where are you having the best luck? What kind of things ARE selling?
    Would love your insight and suggestions!

Leslie

judy likes this.
  2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Things that people can use or decorate with. The collector has largely fallen by the wayside. It is hit or miss these days. I pull nearly as much merchandise as I sell on a regular basis. Sometimes I recycle it back in to the shop at a later date and it will sell. It is not so much that there is anything wrong with the merchandise as it is finding the right buyer at the right time. You also need to be sharp on pricing. My customers are cheap and I need be competitive with ebay or cheaper.

3. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Just found out that some Vintage LL Bean Totes are selling for good money.
    Seems like the labels need to say Made In USA.
    I don't have any but maybe you do.

Northern Lights Lodge and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted