Featured What's this alligator made of?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by sassafras, Nov 10, 2020.

1. sassafras

sassafras Well-Known Member

Rainy day here, so I'm cleaning out the junk drawers (starting anyway). Found this rather large 4 1/4" fella hiding in the back of junk drawer #1. He's by Echo of The Dreamer and is sterling, but what are the stones? He's in desperate need of a bath and I wanted to make sure I don't use something harmful when cleaning him.

Think I just outed myself as a lover of GAWDY jewelry by admitting that I wear this!!!

EOTD Alligator-1.jpg EOTD Alligator-2.jpg EOTD Alligator-3.jpg EOTD Alligator-4.jpg

2. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

Super really cool, don't find it gaudy, gorgeous maybe :)

3. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I think I see some jade fibers, but I know AJ will know for sure. Also the yellow stone could be citrine. Very lucious.

4. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Love a gator ! I bought Mother a honking big citrine bracelet that she refuses to wear . Taught me a valuable lesson about buying jewelry for women. Dont ! Let THEM pick it out . LOL !

kyratango, komokwa, elarnia and 5 others like this.
  5. sassafras

I would never turn down any honking big jewelry you sent to me @johnnycb09 :D

6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I was thinking both Jade and Citrine on both!! Hope I'm right as I never try to guess at stones (well, almost never!!:joyful:)! And I'll take it if you think he's too broken!!!:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin::D:p

7. Aquitaine

And now I get to pose a question.....How to tell the difference between Citrine and Topaz????

komokwa, pearlsnblume and sassafras like this.
  8. sassafras

That's a very good question! LOL I have a diamond tester, but I've never used it on any other stones. Is there a chart somewhere?

komokwa and pearlsnblume like this.
  9. Aquitaine

10. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I like it Not gaudy at all. I would wear it if I wore pins.

11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I agree with everyone, Sass !
    It's for sure,,,, Sassy !!!! ...........:happy::happy:

12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Love it Sas. Go gaudy!:singing:
    It is jadeite jade, with that typical 'messy' jade structure in the stone. The other stone looks like it has a hint of olive green, so I wonder if it is prehnite.

13. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It also has a loop for a necklace.:)

14. sassafras

Hooray! I'll take jadeite any day. Never heard of phrenite before. I was trying to figure it out on my own and kept coming back heliodor, just because it looked kind of like it. My sleuthing skills are definitely not what they should be when it comes to minerals and gemstones. :pompous::facepalm:

What is the best way to clean it?

kyratango and pearlsnblume like this.
  15. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I love prehnite & don't see it here. Prehnite green is closer to blue on the spectrum than to yellow & is cloudy, not transparent. This looks like amethyst that has been cooked into a citrine color.

16. sassafras

Bronwen!!! Welcome back.

17. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Thank you Sassy. :kiss:

Draft saved Draft deleted