Featured "When cabbage & peas were often our best meal"

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by James Conrad, Sep 29, 2017.

1. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

“When cabbage and peas were often our best meal.” A Letter from an 18th-century Journeyman Cabinetmaker

Things were tough in the winter of 1716. Very cool Letter recently found hidden in this cabinet by the guy who built it, article at the link.
    I love stuff like this, that a cabinet of this quality could be created with no power tools, no heat, no elect lights, no bread, no meat, no wine....dang, these guys were MEN!

https://blog.lostartpress.com/2015/...from-an-18th-century-journeyman-cabinetmaker/

image35.jpeg

2. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I remember when that letter came to light. What an amazing story for an amazing piece! And for all of our power tools, we've got Ikea and Ashley to show for it. Pitiful.

3. James Conrad

Yeah, is.

4. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Absolutely amazing!

TY for posting.

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

A beautiful piece and a harrowing story.
    In centuries past many craftspeople and artists were poor, and they still produced beautiful objects with precious materials like exotic wood, silver, gold.
    I think we should all do as Jacob asked, and toast to the memory of Jacob, Johannes, and everyone who left us beauty to admire and enjoy.

cxgirl, KingofThings, judy and 7 others like this.
  6. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

To Jacob and Johannes! *clink*

cxgirl, KingofThings, judy and 3 others like this.
  7. James Conrad

Prost! Zum wohl!

cxgirl, KingofThings, judy and 2 others like this.
  8. LIbraryLady

LIbraryLady Well-Known Member

9. buyingtime777

buyingtime777 Well-Known Member

Thank you for sharing that James. So sad to think of them living so hard and making such a thing of lasting beauty at the same time.

10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Skoal, James! Ya done good, kid!

11. James Conrad

Interesting getting such a personal snapshot into how people lived back then, they lived hard & died young but still managed to do wonderful things.

Christmasjoy, cxgirl and KingofThings like this.
  12. FWIW

FWIW Well-Known Member

great story thank for the share

13. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Excellent!! :)
    -
    Must've stunk like hell in that shop. ;)

14. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Wow, that cabinet takes my breath away! The letter is wonderful, giving us a glimpse into another time, thank-you for sharing:)

15. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Bear in mind that Jacob and Johannes were skilled craftsmen, journeymen cabinetmakers and, as such, would have been accredited members of a Guild. Furthermore, they were working for Jacob's brother, who had a Court appointment. They were probably much better off than most of the people around them.

16. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

I suggest all of you read Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet if you have an interest in similar times in history. :)

17. PACKRAT

PACKRAT Well-Known Member

This is why I love history. This antique talked to us, it would be wonderful if more of them could do so. Just imagine the stories. Thanks for posting.

18. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

A BEAUTIFUL cabinet and a wonderful story .. I'll not forget it, Cheers Jacob !!

Draft saved Draft deleted