Featured When were these chairs made?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Digger, Jan 26, 2020.

1. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Tap them, see if any dust comes out. If it doesn't, worms are long dead.

I'd think late 19th ish, the range davey said. OP is in the UK, from that power point, and that supports that these look from over here. The sacking has been decently redone, and with that velvet, I suspect someone got at them in the late 80s or early 90s. It's FAR too pale.

Carving is Art Nouveau in style, with the shape of the chair starting to have Deco influences.

They need a good clean down, brushing, darker wax and a rich dark fabric on them. I'd go for deep red or bottle green, myself - or a dark rust maybe. Peel the gimp braid off, and then gently take the velvet off. You can leave the sacking alone. If you can't find an old mattress, then you can buy fire retardant padding on Ebay or whatever. You'll need a glue gun or a steady hand with tacks, but it's not a hard job.

2. Digger

Digger Member

Thank you so so much everyone. I really appreciate you all taking the time to look ar my chairs. I'm pretty sure there is no active woodworm in them fortunately.

I will clean up the peeling varnish and reupholster them. Thank you so much for the tip about using an old matress. Luckily we have 2 in the garage waiting to go to the tip. I'll post some photos of the finished result.

3. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Yeah, GOOD IDEA! It looks like something went wrong there with newer finish, it didn't appear to "stick" to the old.
    If going to recover anyway, good opportunity to fix varnish issue as well.

kyratango, Digger and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I suspect the original finish was oiled and waxed. The new didn't stick to it.

I would strip, oil stain and wax. No sealer.

kyratango, lloyd249, Digger and 2 others like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome, Digger. Those are very nice Art Nouveau chairs.
    Great, we will definitely tag you.

kyratango, aaroncab, Digger and 2 others like this.
  6. Digger

Digger Member

Would you suggest that I strip the chairs using a wire brush? Would it be a good idea to use some sort of stripper aswell? I don't want to damage the wood. Many thanks for your advice.

kyratango and James Conrad like this.
  7. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

nooooooooooooooo, don't do that. Any chemical paint/varnish stripper should do, most are "water wash" these days.

8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'd not use a wire brush or a chemical stripper. If it's old 1980s varnish, then a damn good rub with a damp microfibre cloth will get most of it off.

Figtree3, Any Jewelry and Digger like this.
  9. Digger

Digger Member

Thanks @James Conrad and @Ownedbybear. I will keep the wire brush well away from them . As you can tell, I'm a complete novice

10. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Welcome to Antiquers, @Digger -- We look forward to your contributions to this site!

KikoBlueEyes, Digger and Debora like this.
  11. Digger

Digger Member

Thanks so much. Have started on the removal of the velvet today. So many staples and tacks to remove! Hoping I can make a good job of the upholstery. They need a fair bit more filling on the seats than they did have!

kyratango, KikoBlueEyes and Figtree3 like this.
  12. Digger

Digger Member

20200201_134133.jpg 20200201_134207.jpg

Have started to remove the velvet. Looks like a bit has been added to the seat to raise up the front. Either that or it's been replace. The wood that the sacking is attached to is much newer

13. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

14. Iowa Jayhawk

Iowa Jayhawk Well-Known Member

Have to echo the sentiments of others. 1890-1910 pretty well says it.

Digger, Ghopper1924 and kyratango like this.
  15. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

16. Digger

Digger Member

Thanks for the link. I've not got any fabric yet. I'd quite like something with a bit of a pattern. Will see what I can get hold of

17. Digger

Digger Member

Thanks. At present they have 2 straight springs running front to back across the seat. They are attached with pieces of sacking. Was thinking of taking them out and replacing with something else as they make the seats so uncomfortable.

18. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Can you show the springs please?

Darkwing Manor likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted