WHICH FABRIC GLUE/ADHESIVE IS BEST FOR EVENT PATCHES?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by KingofThings, Jul 23, 2016.

1. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Hi all!
    I am about to replace my drag racing jacket by removing the original patches and moving them to a new jacket along with updates.
    There are many and so I would rather not have to sew them all on.
    In the past I learned the iron on stuff just doesn't work. I have even used Loctite super glue gel which kinda works but it's expensive for all I must do.
    ~
    Should you wonder... There is not one patch on this jacket that I've not had some connection to be it a product, race track, drag strip or event. :)
    The rarest is the Stardust Raceway one.
    ~
    So.... What product(s) do I need to do this please?
    Thank you! :)
    ~
    IMG_4919.JPG IMG_4920.JPG IMG_4918.JPG IMG_4921.JPG IMG_4922.JPG

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

What's more important....the patches or the jacket ?

I'd have to say.....sew them on......so as not to ruin the patches.

KingofThings likes this.
  3. KingofThings

This jacket is not important but I will cut away the 'Heartbeat' and save it.
    The patches are all important, and some near impossible to replace, but even so I can cut the material around them away and reuse them.
    A very good point though! :)
    I only have until 8/6 to get this done but I did buy another machine if I decide to sew them.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
    Figtree3 likes this.
  4. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I just posted a reply......didn't realize that I wasn't logged on....anyone know what happens to replies by a "guest"?

I don't know where to find it.:facepalm:

KingofThings likes this.
  5. KingofThings

I do not....

6. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Okedoke....I'll just reply again.

Now that I know you are planning on cutting out the patches......faster and easier, I agree, but I wouldn't trust any glue....not even on the new patches.

Whatever glue you end up using....if you use any at all, I'd take a few stitches in all the corners for safety.

Removing the patches from the jacket by removing the stitches is very time consuming. You can buy a stitch ripper cheaply if you don't already have one. It's still time consuming but they make the job easier.:shame:

KingofThings likes this.
  7. KingofThings

Thank you!
    I have all those tools as I can sew...
    Yes I can Komo. ;)

8. KingofThings

I thought there may be some new technology I could employ.

9. judy

judy Well-Known Member

A man who can sew!!:facepalm::)

KingofThings likes this.
  10. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Let us know if you find it!:shame:

KingofThings likes this.
  11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

If it were me, I'd hang that jacket on the wall and start a new one. Needle and thread otherwise. You're going to need to use a hand needle to sew them too. A machine is faster but might balk at the old glue or whatever's on the back.

KingofThings and judy like this.
  12. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

I won a fleece jacket in a competition many years ago, it had a logo patch of the company that promoted the competition.
    It was part of the material so couldn`t be unsewn or cut out.

I didn`t really feel like wearing the logo and giving them free advertising.
    I bought a Mercedes patch on eBay and stuck it over the logo with 5 pieces of used chewed chewing gum, its still there and has been laundered several times.

When I was a kid I used chewing gum to repair turnups on my school trousers when the stitching came loose, worked a treat.

13. Poisonivy

Poisonivy Well-Known Member

I use Copydex for fabrics, Its quite strong, As has been said you can always put a stitch or two in as well.

KingofThings likes this.
  14. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

Speed-Sew fabric glue seems to get good reviews. Sewing is not one of my favorite things so I take those tasks to sis...

KingofThings likes this.
  15. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

There are some textile glues that might hold, but you're still better off backing that up with some stitching.

KingofThings likes this.
  16. KingofThings

:) I have been able to since about 11 years old. I have made clothes for my kids and fixed/modified many things.
    I still want some Hawaiian shirts made though I don't want to make them.
    Anyone out there interested?

judy likes this.
  17. KingofThings

I'll check that one!
    Thanks! :)

18. KingofThings

I'll check that! :)
    Thanks!

19. KingofThings

You may have missed how hard it would be to find some of them and any available are not cheap.
    There are least $300 worth, and another $50 to $100 to still go on... If they could all be found.

20. KingofThings

Ha and WOW!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted