which version of May Befort by Lautrec is this?

Discussion in 'Art' started by sunday silence, May 25, 2020.

1. sunday silence

sunday silence Well-Known Member

84533190_1_x.jpg 84533190_4_x.jpg 84533190_3_x.jpg 84533190_2_x.jpg

Attached Files:

scoutshouse likes this.
  2. sunday silence

13.5 x 16" framed. The last time I studied Lautrec prints you find some that were restruck many years later and they seem to be missing a color and/or some features. I guess what happened was that these were run off of several stones or plates back in the old days and each one had a separate color. SOmetimes one would break so the remakes are lacking a color or two. I suspect that's what happened here. Thought someone might have a better idea.

scoutshouse likes this.
  3. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I used to be very into Lautrec. Still love his work, but haven't looked at books in a very long while. I'm not quite sure what you're asking. His posters have been so widely reproduced. I have more than one Lautrec poster lurking rolled up in a corner, dating to early 70s.

i need help and scoutshouse like this.
  5. sunday silence

Im asking what version of this poster it is. Or is it impossible to tell. Dont some of them come with watermarks? Like Kleinmann did some of these a long time ago. I am sure there's a way to tell which version this is, although I am not sure there's enuf info from the pics.

Bronwen and scoutshouse like this.
  6. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

This lithograph contains a plate-monogram, title, the number XVI, and identifies the publisher, "Edw. Ancourt, Paris" within the matrix. It is taken from the Mourlot Freres book "The Posters of Toulouse-Lautrec," printed at Mourlot Press, Paris, France 1966.
    https://www.masterpieceonline.com/e...art-llc/henri-de-toulouse-lautrec/may-belfort

what is the back looking like ? is it possible that the XVI is hidden by the passe-aprtout ?

i need help and Bronwen like this.
  7. sunday silence

that's all the pics I have at the moment. THat's probably the one. Thanks a lot for all that info..

Draft saved Draft deleted