Featured Whitby Jet, Vulcanite, Bog Oak, Gutta Percha, French Jet, etc

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by bluumz, Jun 26, 2019.

1. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Some examples.

Carved jet:

Jet Athena A.JPG Jet Athena B.JPG

Jet frame with shell cameo inset:

Shell jet A.jpg Shell jet B.jpg

A molded Czech piece in what I think is a jet frame:

Jet mixed A.JPG Jet mixed B.JPG Jet mixed C.JPG

Bog wood:
    Irish Castle 1A.PNG Irish Castle 1B.PNG

(If anyone recognizes the building depicted, please let me know.)

2. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Whitby Abbey?

(EDIT: Are those shamrocks around the border? If so, must search Irish ruined abbeys.)
    (EDIT #2: Of course, since the brooch is bog oak, an Irish castle/abbey/ruin makes more sense.)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
    Bronwen and scoutshouse like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I concur.:)

Bronwen and scoutshouse like this.
  4. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

I'm still not seeing jet. And I think that pattern with those metal links is cuh-cuh-crazy for jet. I mean if it was expected to be worn and not put in a display case.

And I would argue that the circled bit is more "ice cream scoop" than conchoidal fracture pattern.

From piece of obsidian demonstrating conchoidal fracture from wikiepedia user Ji Elle

temp01.jpg

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
    kyratango, Bronwen and scoutshouse like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Yep.
    And Whitby is the jet capital of the world, so bog oak in Whitby is like cursing in church.:playful: (Last bit is a Dutch saying.:D)

6. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  7. scoutshouse

Confused as ever!

More than one kind of jet... @Jivvy 's an example of the hard variety?

Jet is a product of high-pressure decomposition of wood from millions of years ago, commonly the wood of trees of the family Araucariaceae. Jet is found in two forms, hard and soft. Hard jet is the result of carbon compression and salt water; soft jet is the result of carbon compression and fresh water.

The jet found at Whitby, in England, is of early Jurassic (Toarcian) age, approximately 182 million years old.[5][6] Whitby Jet is the fossilized wood from species similar to the extant Chile pine or Monkey Puzzle tree (Araucaria araucana).[7]

Same article

8. Jivvy

In case this is part of the confursion: please note, my post included a picture of a conchoidal fracture, not of a conchoidal fracture on whitby jet. Will clarify in that post, too.

9. Jivvy

Oh for heaven's sakes... I also need to clarify, that when we're talking "jet" -- I'm hearing "Whitby jet" -- which is not fair because no one, not even me, was saying that.

I don't even have a clue of how other jet fractures.

My apologies, my confusion.

Please carry on without me, lol.

10. scoutshouse

Thanks, @Jivvy - I was a little confused by that... :)

Geology.com for good technical information on jet varieties.

I think the type of fracture or break would depend on the variety/hardness.

Fascinating vvvv (so not to rule out jet in jewelry that isn't victorian)

While there is no source of jet anywhere near southwestern Turkey, it can be found in western Anatolia near Erzurum, where there are about six hundred family-run mines in the mountains. They call it oltu-tasi and it is the material from which Muslim prayer-beads are made. Finlay, Victoria. Jewels: A Secret History (Kindle Locations 1054-1056). Random House Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.

kyratango, Bronwen and Jivvy like this.
  11. scoutshouse

My posts aren't meant to be argumentative :) If I think it helps clarify, I post it.

We all agree lots of sellers, high and low end, misidentify black jewelry - it's truly a black art, pun intended. I went looking for something a little less subjective and shared it, thats all.

kyratango, bluumz and Bronwen like this.
  12. scoutshouse

Good catch, @bluumz and :)

{I edit my posts all the time, but rarely ever note it - hope that's not bad form :)}

bluumz and Bronwen like this.
  13. Jivvy

I rarely see disagreements as argumentative. And disagreements that arise from identifying black jewelry via photographs?

More surprising if there are none. :joyful:

14. Any Jewelry

15. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I just saw -thank you! Will say for others, that brooch, with its domed shape, is a type I see now & again, but with all different castle/abbey/castle chapel architecture. I imagine they are made as souvenirs of those places & that they are Irish in origin. This one came to me in an auction lot from England.

16. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Reviving this older thread...

Here is another good link for info on Whitby jet and how it compares to other black substances used in vintage jewelry:
    Guide to Whitby Jet

I came across this piece and am questioning the seller's label of Whitby jet. Seller states, "You can see the faint remains of wood grain on the back of the brooch which is true to Whitby jet." Umm... I was under the impression that the appearance of wood grain indicates that it's NOT Whitby jet. Opinions?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

17. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Doesn’t look like it to me but I’m no expert.
    Can you put a screw into WJ like that?, surely it would shatter.
    The pieces I have seen look shiny not matte.
    Edit, also the ‘grain ‘ stops before the edges. Looks more like something that’s been heated and moulded?

Bronwen and bluumz like this.
  18. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

In re-reading the earlier posts in this thread, I do see that that the clasp finding on Whitby jet brooches is always adhered onto the piece due to that very issue.

Bronwen likes this.
  19. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I wonder if @Bronwen has come across your cameo in real life?

Bronwen and bluumz like this.
  20. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

For educational purposes:

This is the back of a brooch that has lost its pin. The seller claims it is Whitby jet. Obviously, the pin finding was screwed on. So... NOT Whitby jet?

[​IMG]

Bronwen, KSW and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted