Featured White coral necklace

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by c.free, Aug 15, 2020.

1. c.free

c.free Active Member

900DEDC6-11EC-4727-8F02-E2B86C1A5395.jpeg DDEB5833-0691-4D21-ACE9-94E9DB317FE8.jpeg 5838D60F-B393-45B9-A415-8AFBB1209082.jpeg Any ideas on age of this necklace, or where it comes from? I’m pretty sure it is white coral with brass and garnet beads. I believe the beads are garnet because when I look at them with magnification I see dark lines instead of bubbles. They also feel colder than glass. It seems to me that the sterling fish hook clasp does not belong. I looks out of place with all the brass. As always, thanks for looking.:happy: 900DEDC6-11EC-4727-8F02-E2B86C1A5395.jpeg DDEB5833-0691-4D21-ACE9-94E9DB317FE8.jpeg 5838D60F-B393-45B9-A415-8AFBB1209082.jpeg

pearlsnblume, judy, KSW and 1 other person like this.
  2. c.free

c.free Active Member

Hmmm, sorry bout the double pics.:banghead:

pearlsnblume, judy and KSW like this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Put together by a home hobbyist, I think. I'm not really seeing coral, more like bone or even ivory, if you're sure they are not stone. Would like to see the back of the carved plaque. The red beads could very well be garnet; such beads are not hard to come by & are not expensive.

judy, KSW, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I'm not either. Maybe shell?
    So would we.:joyful: It could be bone?
    Someone thought enough of the necklace to put a silver replacement clasp on it. I think the original would have been a brass spring clasp.

pearlsnblume, judy, KSW and 3 others like this.
  5. c.free

c.free Active Member

D9AB3AB7-BEA2-4A1F-80FD-9399D136FC32.jpeg DBAD7207-1C80-4F7A-BBFF-CB870A91AA8E.jpeg Could be shell, probably is shell. I was Thinking the carved bead would be too thick to be shell. But I suppose there are some quite large shells in the ocean. I am pretty good at recognizing bone and ivory so I will say definitely not on those. Smaller beads could be mop. But they don’t have much luster. There is the front and Back. The whole bead is carved all around. I’m almost positive I have put one of these beads in vinegar and it was effervescent. So that would rule out stone. I was thinking it might be a tourist item. But I have no idea from where. Thanks! A0C1B7AC-75E5-4B41-BC10-F772C2FE9E9B.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
    judy, KSW, Bronwen and 1 other person like this.
  6. c.free

c.free Active Member

Was there a time when the offset decorative bead was popular?

pearlsnblume, judy, KSW and 1 other person like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

I now looks molded rather than carved. Maybe resin or an early plastic. Is it cold to the touch?
    Could we see the back please?

judy and Bronwen like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

The fashion comes and goes, so different periods.
    That means it contains calcium, which shells also do.

pearlsnblume, c.free, judy and 2 others like this.
  9. c.free

c.free Active Member

Eww, sorry about the hair in the photo. I thought it was just another dog hair stuck under my screen protector. But I guess it escaped.

judy, KSW and Bronwen like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

I have survived worse.:hilarious:

c.free, judy, KSW and 1 other person like this.
  11. c.free

c.free Active Member

Yes, I think it is shell.

12. c.free

c.free Active Member

Thanks so much :):)

13. c.free

c.free Active Member

The pictures above show front and back. it looks the same on both sides. Well there are slight variations in the carving.

14. c.free

c.free Active Member

Here is a side view 887FCC20-7979-431E-A547-FF06F7C9199B.jpeg

Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  15. c.free

c.free Active Member

Here is a close up of it A748E2C2-AC01-4FF5-BC8C-45EEFB74E30A.jpeg

16. c.free

c.free Active Member

17. c.free

c.free Active Member

Against ivory for color comparison CC5BD052-B1DE-475A-96D7-C9747C61E148.jpeg

Any Jewelry, judy and Bronwen like this.
  18. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

From this photo my strongest feeling is shell:

[​IMG]

This is shell:

[​IMG]

And these are MOP:

MOP beads.jpg
    (Lighting making them look more yellow than they are.) They are not pearly looking on all surfaces; some areas are more like your beads. The larger beads are surely as big as or bigger than your beads.

Assuming there was some other original. This doesn't look commercially made to me. I have used old clasps & beads cannibalized from other necklaces in my own designs. Until the recent surge in silver prices, a clasp like this was not expensive new & easily found on vintage strands of artificial pearls. A crafter may have used the clasp ready to hand.

c.free and judy like this.
  19. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Even now it’s still only $1-$2 worth of silver at the most. Which is expensive if you’re mass producing jewelry I guess, but it’s all relative.

Bronwen likes this.
  20. Any Jewelry

My vote is for shell for the round beads and possibly bone for the carved bead/pendant. It looks like it has been handled a lot, a sign of age. It could be the oldest part of the necklace.

c.free and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted