Featured White House carpet From Auction

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Feb 13, 2021.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I went to a estate sale today on Belle Meade Island in a big, beautiful home right on Biscayne bay. I bought 2 large(!) hand signed Romero Britto prints; The Hug; 66" x 22.5" w/frame & a large square framed one that I haven't found the name yet (but I did poke a hole in it somehow while driving back home!) - she also showed me, but wouldn't sell it to me, a large birthday card her husband had Britto make for her!
    And I bought a large carpet (9' 7" x 12') that the lady said had also been a birthday gift - and that it had previously been in the White House! She said her husband had gotten it at a auction of White House items?
    She text me photos of it open because it'd been raining and I wasn't going to open it & she told me there was nothing wrong with it - and she'd had it cleaned before putting it in a storage pod on her property.
    My question is - Is there a way to tell what auction it came from? (she said she'd ask her husband what year it was or who the president was but they're separated and she didn't know when/if he'd tell her).
    Also I tried to open pics from her phone to mine for here but it wouldn't so these are all I have for now.
    Also any ideas how to fix the Britto would be greatly appreciated!

FURNITURE CARPET WHITE HOUSE 6AA.JPG FURNITURE CARPET WHITE HOUSE 7AA.JPG FURNITURE CARPET WHITE HOUSE 7AAA.JPG

The Britto I screwed up below!! (Any one know the name of this one?)

ART PRINT BRITTO SIGNED SQUARE FRAMED 1AA.JPG
    ART PRINT BRITTO SIGNED SQUARE FRAMED 3AA.JPG

And THE HUG - also hand signed (and BIG!)

ART PRINT BRITTO THE HUG SIGNED FRAMED 1A_AA.JPG ART PRINT BRITTO THE HUG SIGNED FRAMED 2AA.JPG ART PRINT BRITTO THE HUG SIGNED FRAMED 2CAA.JPG

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I'm suspicious about the rug- looks more like machine made than hand-knotted. But what is with the vinyl? edging? I have never seen that kind of material used.

judy, anundverkaufen and i need help like this.
  3. journeymagazine

No idea. I think to protect edges from coming undone?
    PS - I was able to upload this one! I will try to save another to phone from text pics she sent me.

IMG_20210213_103250.jpg

judy likes this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

If it was, the question is, where in the White House? It could have been in a butler's room or something.
    But without provenance it is only hearsay.

gauntlettgems, reader, judy and 3 others like this.
  5. journeymagazine

Here are 2 more image.jpg image.jpg

judy likes this.
  6. journeymagazine

Any jewelry - I know but it does add to it right?

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

8. Bakersgma

I guess that unraveling protection would be the purpose, but I have never seen this material used that way. A statement about being in a "white house auction" is no help unless you have documentation to support it.

What does the "two more" mean? 2 more pictures or 2 more rugs you bought?

judy and anundverkaufen like this.
  9. wiscbirddog

10. Bakersgma

I was thinking Castellano was the owner who had the cleaning done?

judy likes this.
  11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

nice Britto's.....i can't see how u poked that hole without busting the glass.....
    but...if unframed it may be possible to fold over the paper....but you'll never ' fix it '....

judy and anundverkaufen like this.
  12. journeymagazine

Castellani is the sellers name; she had them all cleaned and they all had her name on one side of tag. I think it's a tabriz?
    Bakers GMA - I meant I got it to upload 2 more photos.

judy and Bakersgma like this.
  13. journeymagazine

I know it won't be fixed like new but if I can fold back over and tape from back?
    I'm going to be lucky to get my $150 back I paid for it - but the hand signed The Hug has sold for $400 - $600 (or close as I remember; and either will cover cost of both)

judy and komokwa like this.
  14. Any Jewelry

Not valuewise though.:(

reader, judy and anundverkaufen like this.
  15. wiscbirddog

Well, Wayfair sells Tabriz rugs too. :D

judy likes this.
  16. Bakersgma

Tabriz is the design style. Hard to say whether it was actually made there.

What are you referring to with "fold back over and tape?"

judy likes this.
  17. Any Jewelry

I would leave it as it is, unless you know what you're doing, tape can do more harm than good imo.

18. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

@Bakersgma You do see that on quite a few of the pricier oriental rugs, I think dealers add the strips to prevent curling and slipping. I recently sold a beautiful Bidjar/Senneh with strips like that attached ...the rug was about 40-50 yrs old, so from the 70's -80's or so.

judy likes this.
  19. Bakersgma

Interesting. Never seen it in the US. A Canadian thing?

judy likes this.
  20. journeymagazine

blooey, I opened one end (It's too big for me to take out open & close again!) & took a photo; it looks like one side (left of shag end) is sewn, so is this hand made and/or a real tabriz?
    Because looking at their prices if so it's an expensive carpet (and something else you'd expect from the White House, even if in a unknown room, right?)
    FURNITURE CARPET WHITE HOUSE 8A.JPG

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted