Featured Whiting Davis handbag with unpopular German symbol.

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Pattywithay, May 7, 2021.

1. Pattywithay

Pattywithay Well-Known Member

Soooo, I have this WD enamel bag for years and I don’t know what to do with it. Even though it predates the war (20’s I believe) I don’t want to offend anyone. Can I, should I sell it? There is one on eBay now with the same symbol but a different style WD.
    2B924C65-F6A6-4AF8-B22C-FE41E48F853B.jpeg E4DA243E-ECC4-462F-9B48-917E9AF51D17.jpeg 7ED267A2-F548-42C9-B3D5-4DC11EB4429A.jpeg

2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

3. i need help

I believe when the symbol is at that angle it is called a fylfot.

If it rests on a corner, it’s the other meaning.

(But, I’m not familiar with selling Rules)

Last edited: May 7, 2021
  4. Pattywithay

Interesting! Thank you. I’ve never heard that term before.

pearlsnblume and i need help like this.
  5. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

6. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Any Jewelry and Pattywithay like this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

that's a good luck symbol........

8. Pattywithay

The responses illustrate exactly why I am torn about this. I don’t want it but as a reseller, what to do?

9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Isn't straight 'up & down' like that an India-n symbol...not swastika?

10. Branka

Branka Well-Known Member

There is a market for everything. Some sites may prohibit sale of any items with such symbol and it’s understandable. Any chance that symbol was added later or is it a part of an original design? If original I think good explanation and to disassociate it from ww2 should help. Good luck.

Pattywithay and i need help like this.
  11. i need help

12. i need help

632A5579-E14E-4E22-B7E3-D0B25EC26386.jpeg And this one is sold.

13. Branka

Branka Well-Known Member

14. Branka

Branka Well-Known Member

15. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

My post was brief because I had to run out and pick something up, so it was unclear - personally, I'm not offended by the swastika on your purse, it predates the use of the symbol by nazis. I'm not Jewish, but when I was eight, I moved to Skokie, a Chicago 'burb with a very large Jewish population, many of my friends' parents and grandparents were Holocaust survivors and/or lost loved ones to that horror, so I learned early, and am appalled and disgusted by anything related. But the swastika, fylfot, whirling log, whatever it's called, has a long positive history in many cultures, so in my mind, the German hakenkreuz, in the 'on-point' orientation, is separate, and I have a few spoons and pieces of jewelry bearing a swastika, as Komo said, a good-luck symbol. I wouldn't wear the jewelry, but I did display the spoons, ready with a quick explanation of their origins if they caught someone's eye, so I do understand the unwillingness to offend...

Native Americans have a long history of using the 'whirling log', but in 1940, the Navajo, Papago, Apache and Hopi people gave up part of their culture, and issued a proclamation headed by an exed-out swastika, that read, "Because the above ornament, which has been a symbol of friendship among our forefathers for many centuries, has been desecrated recently by another nation of peoples, therefore it is resolved that henceforth from this date on and forever more our tribes renounce the use of the emblem commonly known today as the swastika or fylfot on our blankets, baskets, art objects, sand paintings and clothing.".

~Cheryl

16. Hamburger

Hamburger Absolute Beginner

Many thanks for that, DragonflyWink. I knew a little about the history of these symbols in Eurasia, but nothing at all about the similar Native American symbols.

https://jewishjournal.com/culture/229529/image-week-indians-drop-swastika/
    [​IMG]

As for the bag, I can't imagine it's going to attract anyone primarily because of the symbol. You either like that style of bag and want it for a whole bunch of reasons, or you don't. I don't think we need to worry about seeing it at a far right event.

Last edited: May 8, 2021
    Lucille.b likes this.
  17. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is a beautiful bag, Patty. I am sure collectors understand that the symbol is in no way linked to the Nazis.
    The word swastika is derived from the Sanskrit, an Indian language (India). It is an ancient Asian sun symbol which is considered life giving and auspicious.
    It can turn in either direction depending on its purpose, but the purpose is always good in Asian cultures. In Asia it can also rest on one of the arms, without a negative connotation.
    It is related to other ancient sun symbols, including ancient European, African and American ones, many of which look exactly like the Asian swastika. The NA whirling log is also originally a sun symbol.

Lucille.b, komokwa, Branka and 2 others like this.
  18. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

As Komo said "A good luck symbol"
    The US displayed it on many items before the 30's
    There are a vast amount of good luck tokens circulating with that symbol on ebay.
    No problem at all.
    I guess mention of the Red Men might cause more offence than the good luck symbol.

upload_2021-5-8_9-46-37.jpeg

upload_2021-5-8_9-46-53.jpeg

upload_2021-5-8_9-47-20.gif

upload_2021-5-8_9-47-41.jpeg

19. Pattywithay

Thank you everyone for the insightful comments and links. Much appreciated.

I suppose I will sell it as it causes me too much angst and the reseller in me won’t toss it. (Although the thought of a far right leaning person having it makes me want to gag).
    @Ownedbybear if you are interested please let me know.

Lucille.b, komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  20. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Thanks honey - the problem is I use my bags, and I wouldn't feel able to use that one. Appreciate the thought, goodd luck with it!

Draft saved Draft deleted