Featured Whiting & Davis mesh purse, what metal is it and what age?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Elen Beattie, Dec 17, 2021.

1. Elen Beattie

Elen Beattie Well-Known Member

Hi all, happy Friday! Picked this W&D mesh purse up recently at a local auction (it was listed as Sterling which I'm pretty sure it isn't which is a little annoying!). It measures 6"L x 4"W (excluding the handle and fringe). I have done a bit of research and see that some of the early ones were either sterling, gold overlay or gunmetal- is this one gunmetal?!. There appears to be areas that have a gold sheen on the metal. Is this machine made? What age do you think it is? There is a marking on the side of the frame that says, "Pat'd Soldered mesh". Input always appreciated, thanks so much!

Image - 2021-12-17T100450.815.jpeg Image - 2021-12-17T100431.451.jpeg Image - 2021-12-17T101525.233.jpeg Image - 2021-12-17T101529.821.jpeg Image - 2021-12-17T101519.830.jpeg Image - 2021-12-17T100433.203.jpeg

dude, elarnia, Aquitaine and 5 others like this.
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

At the very least, it's most attractive!!!

dude and Elen Beattie like this.
  3. Elen Beattie

Thank you :happy:

dude likes this.
  4. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

quite usual that the mesh and the frame are different metals. IMO sterling silver would wear itself so-much-so that the mesh would fall apart in no time at all. the upper part that is stamped may be sterling though.

dude, Gus Tuason and Elen Beattie like this.
  5. Gus Tuason

Gus Tuason Well-Known Member

I agree. But.... it may be different grades of silver, well below sterling. It'll polish up beautifully. It may take extra elbow grease on the mesh portion. Ease in polishing sometimes is indicative of purity. I would rule out gunmetal.

dude, Elen Beattie and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

are you thinking at the redox-potential ?

dude likes this.
  7. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I have a silver purse by another maker, I tested the mesh as well as the frame and they are both silver. But I have always assumed the mesh to be a lower grade of silver for increased strength.

What did they tell you about the lining? It looks like a recent addition to me, JMHO :)

8. Elen Beattie

They didn't mention the lining but I agree it looks like a recent addition. The auction house also said it was Victorian but I'm guessing 20s?

dude, Gus Tuason and Fid like this.
  9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'd take that lining out, then ultrasound it. That would get a great deal of muck off it. 1920s or 30s.

dude, Gus Tuason, Fid and 1 other person like this.
  10. Gus Tuason

Gus Tuason Well-Known Member

I agree with Marie. "Redox Potential"?........you bet!

Elen Beattie likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted