WHO IS ARTIST OF THIS HERMES SHIRT?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by journeymagazine, Jan 16, 2020.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this Hermes shirt in a big bag of clothes I got from a storage unit won at auction. Who is the artist? Someone found this exact shirt before but now that I am getting ready to sell it I can't find it! I tried googling Hermes artist Gorett & Sorett + Hermes jockey boots shirt, but nothing comes up?
    Also, it says it's a size 40, but converting a European 40 to US = a size 10; I would call this a small - did it shrink or is a ladies shirt size 10 smaller than I thought? I don't want to gave it returned because it's too small for a lady who usually wears a 10.

Thank you!

CLOTHES SHIRT HERMES HORSE RACING 1AA.JPG CLOTHES SHIRT HERMES HORSE RACING 3AAA.JPG CLOTHES SHIRT HERMES HORSE RACING 2AA.JPG CLOTHES SHIRT HERMES HORSE RACING 4AA.JPG

kyratango and judy like this.
  2. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

i need help, Sandra, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

The measurements will be far more critical than any label. Vintage sizes are generally smaller.

i need help, Sandra, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  4. necollectors

necollectors Well-Known Member

40 is usually a ladies 10...but washing may have caused shrinkage. Best bet, measure the shirt flat shoulder to shoulder ...pit to pit...and length and arm length.. That way someone can check with their own article of clothing to see if its going to fit. I will often do this and so far...have had no issues! Knock wood! BTW Size 10 in ladies is not considered 'big'...USA 8-10 small, 10-12 medium, 12-14 large...etc...

clutteredcloset49 and Bronwen like this.
  5. reader

reader Well-Known Member

IMO do not convert the size to US. Clearly state that it’s a vintage Hermès 40 and to check the carefully taken measurements. You can say that you consider it a Small. BTW I wore a vintage 40 and at that time I was a loose US 8-never a 10.

kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The size 10 suits I bought in the early 80s fit me closely in these days, when I wear an 8. At a certain point the apparel industry woke up to the fact that American women were getting larger on average & they adjusted the sizing chart to make us all feel better. I agree with reader on how to handle in a description.

reader and kyratango like this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Boy, that storage unit just keeps on giving.

Debora

reader, kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'm a modern UK size 10 to 12, but a 10 was smaller on the waist when I was in my teens, so I never did manage it then - 22 inch waist!

reader, kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  9. journeymagazine

I have a BIG zippered bag I've looked into but haven't taken that stuff out yet - there is so much + all my mom's stuff I just got; it's a bit overwhelming!
    PS - Therealreal.com lady is coming Thurs! (hopefully she'll pick out a big pile to take with her & they will sort, photograph & list!)

kyratango likes this.
  10. journeymagazine

Thanks kyratango!

kyratango likes this.
  11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I'm so glad you contacted TheRealReal. Think that'll ease the process for you. And, from what I've seen, there will be many items she won't hesitate to get her greedy hands on. You will report back, won't you?

Debora

kyratango likes this.
  12. journeymagazine

Of course - I'm learning by showing it here!

13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Delighted some serious money appears to be coming your way.

Debora

kyratango likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted