Who made glass Pitcher WEBB?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Bdigger, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

I'm thinking this pitcher might be a piece of Webb Alexandrite But the coloring is off, (it should end in a bluish color on top) ,Wondering if not, who the maker might be. It is coming up at an auction soon, and I like it. Any Info and Opinions appreciated! Thanks in advance! Mike webb1.jpg

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

The jug, yes? If it's Webb, it might be marked. Does look British with that celery handle.

3. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

Thank you owned. I have not seen it in person. Do you think it might be considered Webb Alexandrite?

4. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Owned,
    Thanks for the wonderful term for that handle. We just called it reeded. The color is sometimes incorrectly called amberina.
    greg

5. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

Hi Owned, I've had/seen a fair amount of that color ware in the US, always thought it was an import, never thought of Webb. One piece that was pretty distinctive was a large, low candy box with an apple stem handle, bent over to one side. Does this sound like something Webb would have made, and would it have been post WWII?

6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Tom - you still here?
    Wouldn't this be Rubina Verde?
    And what about 1950s-60s Italian import with that clear handle?

7. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

I've been calling it pale Amberina, Rubina Verde is canary at the bottom. Glows bright green under blacklight.

8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

The candy box doesn't ring a bell, but I'll have a paw through some books in a bit.

That hexagonal optic moulding is quite Webbish, but Empoli did some too. There's a lot of Brit stuff with those clear celery - yes, lovely term! - handles. Whitefriars did them like mad. (This isn't Whitefriars, I hasten to add.)

9. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

Is the base applied?
    Looking at the base I'm thinking this comes closest to emulating Rubina Verde if the yellow shades the lower body.

I don't think it's Webb. It just doesn't look...right. Kinda....washed out and slightly clumsy. 'Course, could be the photos...but that base...

I'm with Greg on reeded handles. I'll remember celery for sure, much more colourful....and "in the know"ish:cool:.

*crs* likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted