Featured Who Made This?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by IABAST, Mar 13, 2020.

1. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

@evelyb30 , your love for Israeli jewellery and expertise are urgently needed.;)

KSW and pearlsnblume like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Oops, sniped by pearls.
    My computer was having problems again, I sat here about 10 minutes waiting for my reply to be posted.:oops:

KSW and pearlsnblume like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

That is from Mexico, which doesn't have Eilat stone. It is a take on a Mixtec jewel, the original is pre-Columbian.
    The chips in Mexican chip inlay jewellery are either malachite and lapis or dyed stone, depending on the quality.
    Eilat stone looks like the one I posted.

KSW and stracci like this.
  4. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

But if you looked at the link it says Mexican jewelry made with Eilat stone containing turquoise and malachite, which are components of Eilat stone. Just like the other example I sent showed an Eilat stone that was almost black? Not arguing but there are many variations just like turquoise.

5. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

Nah, turquoise in resin, from Mexico. I used to have one like this!

KSW and kyratango like this.
  6. IABAST

IABAST New Member

Alright, seems to be unanimous, it’s probably turquoise if you all think so

KSW likes this.
  7. IABAST

IABAST New Member

Upon further inspection, I noticed that the black is actually dark blue resin with chips of whatever in it.

KSW likes this.
  8. IABAST

IABAST New Member

I appreciate the help in trying to identify the materials in the pendants, but my main goal is to see if I can find the name of the manufacturer/artist

9. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

It's helpful for others who read the thread who don't know what Eilat stone is.:)

stracci and kyratango like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

I still have my mother's set, which include earrings and a ring as well as the pendant/brooch.:)
    I agree, Mexicans make a lot of turquoise chip jewellery (and dyed chip). But that is more of a classic turquoise colour. When we bought my mother's set in Taxco we were were told that they were malachite with a bit of lapis mixed in. And that is what it looks like too.
    If you look at the one flipper posted you also see malachite green with some banding and a few lapis blue specks:

upload_2020-3-15_11-3-12.jpeg

I wouldn't be surprised if there was some dye involved, btw, just like in those Mexican 'malachite' chip pre-Columbian replica reliefs.

The original Mixtec one is gold with turquoise, the turquoise was traded from what is now the US Southwest:

[​IMG]

stracci and kyratango like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

The seller is fibbing, probably to make a much manufactured Mexican item sound more exclusive by using the name of a rare stone. Here in Europe he could be fined for misrepresentation.
    Eilat stone contains much more than turquoise and malachite, which you can read in the text you copied from Wikipedia.;) It is is only found near the Red Sea, which is not in Mexico.:)
    I noticed from the other listings on the site that the seller has trouble photographing Eilat stone, which is understandable. Eilat cabochons are often polished to a high gloss, and as you can see from my pic, I also had trouble photographing that particular stone, too much gloss.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
    kyratango likes this.
  12. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

13. Any Jewelry

I know, flipper, you already posted the link to that photo, and my reply proved explicitly that I had seen it. I had also seen the Mexican brooch in the other link you posted, before you posted the photo from exactly the same link. I am sure the others had already seen both too.
    Why do you keep posting them, and what is your point exactly?:confused:

To recap, the Mexican is not Eilat stone. The Israeli is, but it is photographed in such a way that it looks black, which it isn't actually. You can see green along the upper edge, and I am sure the entire stone looks different when photographed in a different way.

Draft saved Draft deleted