Who was the audience for this photo postcard?

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by crazycrowlady, Sep 17, 2020.

1. crazycrowlady

crazycrowlady Active Member

Hi there!
    I've recently been given a pile of old postcards to ebay for a friend's mom. This one just makes me so curious. It's a fun antique pic of a group of ladies a couple of kids--but who would have sent this? Was it printed for just the people in the photo? Why is the photo so tiny and off-center?

Appreciate any info!

Postcard 14a Women's Photo.jpg Postcard 14b Women's Photo.jpg

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It's a RPPC (Real Photo Post Card.) May have been printed by an amateur or small town photographer. Looks like a generational family grouping taken at the family home. And likely done to send to family members out West or back East. It can be dated by the design of the stamp box. AZO with four triangles pointing up is 1904-1918. Given their clothing, likely later in that period. Which makes it also possible that it was taken for a male family member away in World War I service.

Debora

Figtree3, Bakersgma, Houseful and 2 others like this.
  3. crazycrowlady

Thank you!!

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Identifying location or even name of family would add value. Important term for listing is "unused."

Debora

Figtree3 and crazycrowlady like this.
  5. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

Postcards like these were made for people to send to their relatives and friends. I have some of these from the very early 1900's. One is my grandmother on her first birthday, another is a family group shot, and two others are a Christmas card and a New Year's card with photos of my grandmother and her sister. These were basically design it yourself postcards.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    Figtree3, komokwa and crazycrowlady like this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Imagine how thrilling it must have been when this type of photography became available/affordable and families could share photographs across the miles.

Debora

komokwa and crazycrowlady like this.
  7. crazycrowlady

You guys are the best! I end up with all this old stuff because I have such a blast learning about it. Totally off in the weeds looking up old towns right now instead of working... :D

Houseful and komokwa like this.
  8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

In my house, we call totally off in the weeds "research." ;)

Debora

komokwa and crazycrowlady like this.
  9. crazycrowlady

My husband "loves" when I spend an hour to make someone $1!

Houseful and komokwa like this.
  10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Yeah. I know what he's saying.

Debora

komokwa likes this.
  11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It's the research that's the reward, not the money. These cards, aka RPPCs, were printed on postcard stock sometimes because it was cheaper than regular photo paper. Sometimes during WWI it was more available too. I have one of my grandfather's induction photo from 1917/1918 . Most of them aren't identified unless they were used.

Figtree3 and crazycrowlady like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted