Who was this photographer?

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by smallaxe, May 6, 2020.

1. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

I have a family photo that measures about 8x11 inches. It's a somewhat artistic, well done (for the time) portrait photo of head and shoulders. The date appears to be 1919 or 1914, which seems right for the age of the subject. It was framed by a New York art dealer. I've searched, and come up empty on the photographer. The subject had the money to hire a good photographer. Photos below show the photographers sig on the bottom right corner of photo, and below that, the framer's tag on the back. Any ideas?

Lynne1.jpg
    Lynne2.jpg

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Is there a reason why you didn't post the photograph itself?

Debora

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Jean Bohne was on 28th Street in 1917.

Debora

Figtree3 and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. smallaxe

I didn't know if it would make a difference. It might be hard to scan. It's in a clunky and very dirty frame, and I will have to partially destroy the frame to get the photo out to do a proper scan. If it's helpful, I can scan it as-is.

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Well, given you're asking for assistance identifying a photographer... It would be helpful to see the photograph itself. Your query -- identifying a photographer by a stylized signature alone -- is a bit of a needle in haystack and it would be helpful to at least know in what era she was working. Nothing I see so far supports a 1914 or 1917 date.

Debora

Figtree3 and Christmasjoy like this.
  6. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Perhaps just do a photograph rather than a scan.

7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi @smallaxe, have you checked out this resource? I'd say it's HUGE....I think it'd be a nightmare to go all the way through, since you don't have a last name, AND the years of the photographers aren't in chronological order that I could see.....I think you'd be hitting GOLD if you found it, BUT.....it's a listing of N.Y. Photographers going back into the 1800's....to probably near current.....

https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/v...-in-the-new-york-public-librarys-photography-

8. say_it_slowly

I checked that using the "find" function on my computer and it only reported the one with the last name of Jill Lynne and she was too young.

Christmasjoy and Aquitaine like this.
  9. Aquitaine

@say_it_slowly, was that within that website, or JUST using GOOGLE??? Thanks!!!

10. say_it_slowly

Pull down find function if this is what you're asking.

upload_2020-5-6_23-27-25.png

upload_2020-5-6_23-25-4.png

Aquitaine likes this.
  11. say_it_slowly

12. smallaxe

This is why I think a date of 1919 fits. The subject of the photo was born in 1878. Here is the photo in the frame (she would be 41)
    n3.jpg

This is her in 1899 at age 21
    N1.jpg
    Below is her in 1909 at the age of 31
    n2.jpg
    This is her around 1925 (age 47)
    n4.jpg

13. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Could it be Clynne?

morgen94, SarahD, Figtree3 and 6 others like this.
  14. smallaxe

You are brilliant! I think that cracks it. There was a photographer named B.F.Clynne or Glynne that had a studio in Atlantic City, and in New York. He died in 1919. The subject of the photo lived in New Jersey, and had a house near Atlantic City. I will do more research tomorrow, but I think you provided the key piece to the puzzle. Your insight that the border of the sig is actually a letter never would have occurred to me. I just didn't see it.

judy, bercrystal, Figtree3 and 5 others like this.
  15. say_it_slowly

Sure helps to have lots of eyes looking!!!! I just wanted to say how beautiful I think this photo is. It captures a lovely woman and just exudes emotion.

lovewrens, judy, Aquitaine and 2 others like this.
  16. smallaxe

Here is what I was able to find about the photographer after @i need help enlightened me on how to read the signature correctly.

Barnet S. Clynne (1888-1919) and his wife Frieda, immigrants from Polish Russia, had a photography studio at 731 Boardwalk in Atlantic City called "Society Studio". In 1919 he opened a studio on Fifth Ave, New York. Tragically, he died suddenly at his New York studio on Feb 27 1919, leaving a young daughter and his wife, pregnant with his son who was born 2 months later. His wife continued the studio in Atlantic City, which survived into the 1950's and '60's, run by Frieda, her second husband (Edward Beldegreen), and later, some of her children.

I suspect examples of Clynne's photographs with his signature would be from his New York studio, which was only open for about a month, which would explain why I couldn't find other examples.

Last edited: May 7, 2020
  17. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Thank you for posting the information, sad story.
    Your relative looks like a Classy, Beautiful Lady! :)

judy and Aquitaine like this.
  18. Aquitaine

NICE, smallaxe!!! GREAT story and LOVELY looking woman!!! A couple of those pics look like news print....was she a celeb or society???? Inquiring minds just curious???:smuggrin::)

judy and i need help like this.
  19. Aquitaine

judy, say_it_slowly and i need help like this.
  20. smallaxe

Local society, and friends with some minor to mid level music celebrities of the time.

Last edited: May 7, 2020
Draft saved Draft deleted