Featured WILKINSON SWORD SEVEN-DAY Single-Edge RAZOR SET. Ca. 1920.

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Shangas, Jan 10, 2023.

1. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

This arrived in the mail today!

324940327_1168437584063558_523128008163264956_n.jpg 324941287_1351439135618781_2146772144628306055_n.jpg 324891065_1383283925744817_3774297310850240983_n.jpg 324750540_671831611341651_4545718058176959196_n.jpg

It's in virtually MINT condition! It even came with a period strop (not shown).

Figtree3, Bronwen, kentworld and 8 others like this.
  2. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

No wonder beards were in fashion - I couldn't figure out how to put that together without instructions!
    Nice find!

3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

What's that piece on the left side?

Figtree3 and Bronwen like this.
  4. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Straight (cut throat)razor attachment that screws onto the handle.

Figtree3, Bronwen and moreotherstuff like this.
  5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I imagine you're right, but that would make a straight razor with a relatively short edge.

Figtree3 and Bronwen like this.
  6. daveydempsey

Figtree3, Bronwen and moreotherstuff like this.
  7. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Figtree3, komokwa, Bronwen and 4 others like this.
  8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

:happy:What happens to your face if you use the blades out of order?:playful::jawdrop:
    OTOH, it DOES look like a nice set!!

elarnia, komokwa, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  9. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

10. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I barely remember when razors had blades like this. I still have dads around here somewhere. Not as nice as these !

Bronwen likes this.
  11. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Look at that beautiful packaging-the tonsorial arts of bygone days.An elegant time-as long as Sweeny Todd weren't yer Barber !

12. daveydempsey

A lot of these shaving sets hardly got used because they were fiddly to use and having to sharpen them on a strop, that is why there are so many in good condition for sale as antiques.

I found over 2000 blades in an old guys house I was clearing, I then found hundreds more in another a week later, so I decided to buy two chrome safety razors and wet shave all the time now..
    I have enough new blades stored in my bathroom cabinet and attic for the rest of my life:cool:

20230110_165954.jpg
    20230110_170007.jpg
    20230110_170027.jpg

13. Shangas

I will attempt to answer all your questions...

It didn't come with instructions, so it took a bit of experimentation, but I figured it out in the end.

Actually it's for sharpening the razor. I daresay you could shave with it too, but it's actually for holding the blade so that you can sharpen it more effectively.

Yes, I've seen some others. The one I bought is one of the fancier sets, but there are others out there which are even more elaborate!!

Figtree3, johnnycb09 and Bronwen like this.
  14. Shangas

They take some getting used to, that's for certain.

The previous set I had (see @moreotherstuff's post) was REALLY fiddly to use. To remove the blades from their frames (for sharpening, or cleaning, etc) was a REAL pain in the ass. I didn't fancy slicing off my fingers just to clean a razor-blade, so I put the set up for sale, and bought this, instead. These blades are heavier, larger, easier to hold, and easier to sharpen and use.

A reason a lot of these sets were abandoned and are so nice, as you say, is because they were so damn fiddly to use. When you're sleepy and you can't be stuffed doing it properly, that's a safety hazard...

15. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

AND how about the houses with the older bathrooms that the "medicine cabinet" has the slot inside to dispose of the used razor blades.......wonder how many tons of blades are in peoples WALLS!!!:jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::joyful::joyful::eek::eek::):)

16. bosko69

Aquitaine-Prob enough to forge a Broadsword !

Aquitaine and Bronwen like this.
  17. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Ah, nostalgia moment: I believe my Dad used Wilkinson blades in his razor. You twisted the handle and the top opened up for you to place the blade. No disposables back then.

18. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

19. Shangas

Those are the instructions for the later, 1930s-40s variant. Mine is from the 20s. But yes, it works in a similar fashion.

johnnycb09 and moreotherstuff like this.
  20. bosko69

Shaving was an art in those days.

johnnycb09 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted