Featured William and Mary American?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Illielee, Jan 24, 2021.

1. Illielee

Illielee Well-Known Member

possibly american heart pine?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Illielee

Illielee Well-Known Member

guessing not, sometimes thrown off by patina on early english pine.
    @James Conrad

3. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Yes, I have been fooled by photos of pine thinking it was yellow pine/hard pine/heart pine, (all the same species just different names) that miraculously turn into European pine when examined in person.:eek:
    Looks like a married piece to me, a chest of drawers cut off and attached to the frame. In the 2nd photo, the vertical stiles end at the frame with no horizontal rail at the bottom.
    It's early, I'd guess late 17th century, it's also pretty beat up as well with what looks like significant worm damage to the back center stile. Add in most likely married or "manufactured" from old parts for the export market.
    To answer your question, no, not American.

4. James Conrad

This is what your piece is trying to be but doesn't quite get there. Notice the back photo with the bottom rail which is MIA on your chest.

Late 17th-century W&M English, chest of drawers on frame/stand

front3.jpg

back3.jpg

5. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Are those key escutcheons period? Look a few years later to me and replacements/additions?

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  6. James Conrad

Yes, look QA batwing to me on escutcheon, not sure what they call them in the UK. I have no idea if any of the brasses are period, it would be uncommon if they were as that's the easiest way to freshen up a style in furniture. I just searched the form and this one popped up from a dealer in the UK that had a photo of the back.
    This is a very rare furniture form in America, you never see them outside museums.

komokwa likes this.
  7. James Conrad

Now that I look at photo of the piece, all the brasses were QA once upon a time, you can see witness marks and holes where they were once present.
    If you look at the center drawer, the QA escut. does not fit as there is a different molding profile with a star/sunburst pattern. Obviously, that didn't matter to the owner back in the day, they were going to have QA hardware and, that was THAT!:hilarious:
    The W&M teardrop pulls are more period-appropriate though.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
    komokwa likes this.
  8. James Conrad

AHHHHHHH HAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, I see now why the owner/ dealer kept the QA key escutcheons and didn't replace them with W&M as they did for the drawer pulls. They cut the molding profile to "make" room for QA hardware to fit, file this under
    if it don't fit, force it!
    I would add that the drawer pull witness marks look like QA "batwing" but the key escutcheons are more Chippendale "christmas tree" so it appears this chest had several updates to its hardware over the years.

escutR.jpg

front4R.jpg

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
Draft saved Draft deleted