Featured William Stipe Painting and Antique Frame

Discussion in 'Art' started by Lithographer, Mar 27, 2022.

1. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

I picked this up at a thrift store yesterday for $10. I believe it is a gouache painting by Northwestern professor William Stipe. The style looks similar and I live a few hours from Chicago. I find things by Chicago artists quite a bit. I think the frame predates the picture by a few decades, I'm thinking it was probably painted in the 1960's-70's. I like the style that it is painted in. I call it cartoon style because I don't know if it has an official name. I will probably put an older picture in the frame and put this one in a 60's era one. IMG_1809.jpg IMG_1810.jpg IMG_1811.jpg IMG_1812.jpg

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Isn't that fun? Think you're right re artist. And, although frame may not be your preference, it does suit the work.

Debora

Aquitaine likes this.
  3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Nice. Looks mid-century to me.

The wooden back to the frame isn't doing you any favors - very acidic. At the least, you might want to consider a layer of archival paper between the painting and that back.

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Open lines, sketchy delineation, skewed perspective... All contributed to that cartoony feeling. Looks like a Unitarian church. You may be able to find it somewhere.

Debora

antidiem and Lithographer like this.
  5. Lithographer

Hopefully when I take it out there is some info on the back. Definitely want to remove the wood backer, I have had those ruin some really nice pictures.

Aquitaine likes this.
  6. Lithographer

I read an interview that the artist gave. He said one of the first assignments he would do was to have the students paint a “good” painting and a “bad” one. He said sometimes the bad ones were the best ones.

antidiem, Aquitaine and Houseful like this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I suspect "bad" is freeing and allows for experimentation.

Debora

antidiem and Houseful like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted