Featured Winged Goddess glass intaglio brooch

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KSW, Oct 24, 2022.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I think I hit the mother lode yesterday at a badly advertised flea market sale! There were barely any buyers there and found lots of lovely jewellery and bits and pieces.
    This brooch is base metal but a sweet picture of a winged Goddess holding two children and a little owl!
    I researched twins and had no idea there were so many in mythology!
    Is the Goddess Athena?
    @Bronwen any help would be very welcome please :)
    Approx 1.5” across.
    Thanks for looking!
    0FF1D20E-EC7F-42CB-90B5-E2789E4E1787.jpeg 826E91DC-BE33-4D48-AB8E-6608A13BBADF.jpeg 317B6A35-A4F3-4357-8B11-E9665477B5C3.jpeg AF18FB7A-7FA2-4B54-BEFB-00EF7F73C0CA.jpeg

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Very pretty:

https://cameotimes.com/index.php/profiles-1/allegorical/day-and-night?start=2

Yours is reversed.

3. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Any Jewelry, kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  4. Bronwen

But then yours is an intaglio. If you made an impression from it, the result would face the same direction as Thorvaldsen's Night relief.

SeaGoat, KSW and aaroncab like this.
  5. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

It’s a great image.
    Can you help date the brooch at all please?

6. Bronwen

Really hard to say. Think it could be any time in the second half of the 19th century. My only thought that might narrow it down at all is that glass intaglios used as watch fobs seem to be from later in the 19th to early in the 20th. I have something similar, also in sard colored glass, that I acquired as a pendant but that was probably made with a watch fob in mind.

MedusaMaskIntaglio1.jpg

KSW likes this.
  7. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

That would fit with the short pin too wouldnt it. Thanks @Bronwen, very interesting :) Who does yours represent?

Bronwen likes this.
  8. Bronwen

Just spent some time searching several different sources, thinking this figure would readily turn up. Very surprised not to find it right off. When I have the time & the patience, will have to delve more deeply.

Meanwhile, it is a figure with a mask of Medusa on the head, which really limits it to one of two characters: Perseus or Minerva/Athena. Perseus because he killed Medusa; Athena because Perseus gave her the head, which she added to her armor.

It's the snakes tied under the chin that confuse matters. This is Medusa herself. She is often depicted with snakes tied under her chin:

Medusa 1.jpg

This is Perseus, no snakes under chin:

'Perseus' per Billing, Gem Science.jpg Woman Medusa mask mine A2.jpg

Athena is sometimes portrayed with braids tied under chin that look a lot like snakes:

Athena Pegasus  braids classic ! adj.JPG

However, gems that show her with a Medusa mask are frontal presentations, & also no snakes under chin:

Woman Medusa mask Athena 2.jpg

All in all, think my glass intaglio is a Perseus variant. Now I just have to find him.

[Of the cameos illustrating this post, only the hardstone Perseus is mine, sad to say.]

9. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I see the conundrum, maybe an artists interpretation of several characters in one?
    That bottom one is fabulous, the carving on the face and mask is amazing :jawdrop:

Bronwen likes this.
  10. Bronwen

Maybe. But it's a virtual certainty that my glass intaglio is a direct copy of some other gem & not in any way original itself. Back to Paoletti. (A big, 2 volume catalog of a huge collection of glass gem impressions.)

KSW likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted