WMF experts - a little help identifying an item

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by JKluner, Dec 20, 2021.

1. JKluner

JKluner New Member

Hi there!

I'm new to your forum. I've always loved the Art Nouveau / Arts and Crafts / Jugendstil designs of WMF. Here in South Africa is is quite tricky to find many. Today I found the most... insane WMF item ever, and I'm hoping this community might help me identify it. Or at least point me in the right direction.

It seems to be of the Jugendstil period, it has correct WMF mark, and it has the B for pewter. It is approximately 46cm or just over 18 inches tall. It has the look of a presentation cup or trophy or chalice - and from the pattern and the lady on top, it is harvest or wine / grape related.

It does not appear in ANY form in the 1906 catalogue. Could this be a custom order? What do YOU think it is meant to be? WMF 1.jpeg WMF 2.jpeg WMF 3.jpeg WMF 4.jpeg WMF 6.jpeg WMF 7.jpeg WMF 8.jpeg WMF 9.jpeg WMF 10.jpeg WMF 11.jpeg

Firemandk, lovewrens, komokwa and 5 others like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Measurements might help. ;)

Bronwen likes this.
  3. JKluner

JKluner New Member

I'm afraid it's not with me. All I know is that it is approximately 18 inches / 46cm tall. The rest would have to be based on the pictures.

It's BIG.

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Does it smell of tobacco ashes inside? (Since you don't have it, should we assume it's still in the hands of a seller and not someone you know or can ask about things like that?)

5. JKluner

JKluner New Member

No, not particularly. My first thought was an actual funerial URN!

komokwa likes this.
  6. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

B is Britannia. typical for WMF when kept in humid climate or big changings in temperatures. the Britannia doesn't stick enough to the pewter base and starts to flake off.
    could well be a special order, but those are not available in a book as far as I know.
    I'd try to find out if there was a shop or importer around that sold WMF back in the days and go from there.
    personally I think it nice and if I kept it I'd look around for a shop that could properly get away the remnant corroded surface and get it either hard-chromed or silver plated.

komokwa and Houseful like this.