Featured Wondering about the origins of this ceramic owl

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Owlette, Jan 2, 2023.

1. Owlette

Owlette New Member

I purchased this ceramic owl about 15 years ago and recently have once again been curious about any details about it, if there are any with regards to age or origin. There are no markings on it so I'm unsure about any information pertaining to it.
    IMG20230103105447-min.jpg IMG20230103105504-min.jpg
    IMG_20230103_113317-min.jpg
    IMG_20230103_113303-min.jpg

Last edited: Jan 2, 2023
    dude, Figtree3, judy and 1 other person like this.
  2. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Please show the bottom anyway. Something could be hiding there. I can't help you, but others might be able to.

dude, pearlsnblume, judy and 2 others like this.
  3. Owlette

Owlette New Member

Thank you for telling me that, I've updated it. Fingers crossed someone knows something ^_^

dude, pearlsnblume, Figtree3 and 3 others like this.
  4. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

People who know stuff gather a lot of information from bottoms. The size of the hole, whether it is finished or unfinished, and if there are impressed marks. I am not privy to their knowledge, but I read the posts and replies, and this is what I have picked up.

dude, pearlsnblume, Figtree3 and 2 others like this.
  5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Along the left side of the bottom where I've circled in red, I can see some letters, albeit VERY faintly! If you have some cinnamon handy, maybe you could try to rub a bit along there to try and bring the letters out.....see if that works first..... sometimes what's written IS relevant!!

IMG_20230103_113317-min.jpg

dude, pearlsnblume, judy and 3 others like this.
  6. Owlette

Owlette New Member

I gave it a go but rather than that area it seems what I previously thought was a fault in the base was a letter F or E potentially. Though I'm not sure if it was the best idea I tried to use pencil to help get a better idea which did help it show clearer if it is indeed something
    IMG_20230103_171859-min.jpg IMG20230103164329-min.jpg IMG20230103172327-min.jpg

dude, pearlsnblume, Figtree3 and 2 others like this.
  7. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Good job in bringing that out. It does look like it could be a letter. Now just needs the right people to see this and say what they think.

Do you collect depictions of owls? I noticed your user name. And, Welcome to Antiquers, @Owlette

8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I've seen cat figurines with the same transfer. I think they were 80s giftware.

9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I TRIED on those marks, but they are SO FAINT, I honestly couldn't bring much up...the greenish tint in the first image looks like there's likely a 'G' and MAYBE a 'J' underneath it??? Same image but lower....the burnt color....looks like writing, first like might be a lower case 'g' or an 's' and a couple of 'i's in there, but I can't read anything else....sorry. The LOWER image is magnified 2X...that dark little sort of mark.....can't say it looks like anything (TO ME!) enlarged.....but smaller, it looked like a couple of crested birds.....sorry not of more help.......maybe someone else can see more/better!!

OWL BOTTM-1A.jpg

OWL BASE MK-gigapixel-very_compressed-scale-2_00x copy.jpg

10. Owlette

Owlette New Member

Thank you so much for the insight, honestly you pointed out a lot that I didn't even notice especially the initial message about there being any markings since I hadn't noticed them. I appreciate the time you put into this and will give it a go looking into these too

dude and Aquitaine like this.
  11. Owlette

Owlette New Member

Fingers crossed and thanks, I honestly hadn't even noticed markings before it was pointed out to me earlier.

Thank you for the welcome ^_^ I do have a few owls but most are smaller compared to this one. So you're right about my username being because of that.

dude and Figtree3 like this.
  12. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I've been finding cats with the same flower decal/transfer too but haven't found owls yet. One maker/retailer seems to put their mark up inside the body so a close look inside might be worthwhile if you haven't tried already.

I don't know if this helps but these are similar type items with same decor both dating fairly recently.

This pair was made by KLM Pottery LTD in business 1998-2003.
    http://www.thepotteries.org/allpotters/638c.htm
    upload_2023-1-3_15-20-29.png
    upload_2023-1-3_15-22-17.png
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/132540...re&ref=sr_gallery-1-39&organic_search_click=1

This one is marked Staffordshire Ironstone England NW YW and apparently imported from China.

http://www.thepotteries.org/allpotters/949c.htm
    "This ware is not vintage, not antique, not Staffordshire Ironstone and not made in England.

There are a large and varied number of Chinese made ceramics with these fake marks - they generally date to post 1990."

upload_2023-1-3_15-25-14.png

The mark is up inside the body.
    upload_2023-1-3_15-26-34.png
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/1293936686/large-staffordshire-ironstone?gpla=1&gao=1&

dude, Figtree3, kyratango and 4 others like this.
  13. Woutinc

Woutinc .wordpress.com

The flowers also look 'Bavaria'. German perhaps?
    Am i right that i see (red circle Aquitaine) some gold shine left in the worn mark? 'Bavaria' often has gold marks.
    IMG_20230104_013403.jpg

dude likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted