Won't You Join Me On My Fool's Errand?

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Jivvy, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

Bless you! I admit, over the years I've lost confidence that we'll ever know, but I also admit, it makes me a little hopeful that someone else is looking at it.

judy likes this.
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    Jivvy likes this.
  3. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Of wives who resembled each other - does anyone remember what Johnny Carson's wives looked like?

Jivvy likes this.
  4. Jivvy

I have googled until my fingers have bled. But it doesn't hurt to keep doing it. With rest periods, of course. There's more information available today than when I first discovered there were two Lotties, there will be more tomorrow than today.

None of the new info has made one single tiny bit of difference, but you can't find the needle if you don't keep looking.

Aquitaine and i need help like this.
  5. Jivvy

Now I have to google Johnny Carson's wives. :bucktooth:

Aquitaine and i need help like this.
  6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Does the marriage certificate for both say Charlotte? Or do they say Lottie?

I googled to see what other names Lottie could be short for.
    Came up with this list:

Carlotta
    Liselotte
    Loretta
    Scarlet
    Violet

Jivvy and i need help like this.
  7. Jivvy

Both marriage certificates say "Lottie." I know that Lottie02 is definitely Charlotte, but by golly, I'd love for Lottie01 to be Carlotta. I will do some checking with those names. Thank you!

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Could they have been two cousins with the same first name, but different maiden names? That could account for the resemblance, and the fact they were both married to your great-grandfather. It is likely that Lottie02 would have known her cousins husband, and could have stayed in touch after Lottie01 passed away.

Jivvy likes this.
  9. Jivvy

@Any Jewelry I've gone pretty deep into this side of the family, if they were cousins, I'm pretty sure I would know...though it is exactly the kind of thing I would expect them to try to hide from me.

Honestly, there's always something that twists every tiny bit of info to where you just can't trust it -- it's as if they planned it. :hilarious:

And we don't know that they look alike. If the pictures I posted are all of Lottie02... -- wait, let me address that.

Having mulled and listened to you guys, I really do think the pictures are all of Lottie02. Not just for the reason @Bronwen gave (which I liked), but because it makes sense of "B" and the children who are in the full version. If photo "B" was Lottie01 (photo "B" was always the one I questioned), then there should be an additional child in the picture. It makes more sense for it to be Lottie02.

I'm honestly not sure this will ever be solved. Or at least not in my lifetime. Which means probably ever, because I'm fairly certain no one else (other than the lovely @Bakersgma ) is researching this. ;)

OldHome.jpg

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

@Jivvy If you've still got the Edit option on Post 49, I think you need to change your reference to the headshots. This full image is the one from which B was clipped, not C. ;)

Any Jewelry and Jivvy like this.
  11. Jivvy

Man, I am all over the place these days. :hilarious: Thanks for the quick catch!

Bakersgma likes this.
  12. Jivvy

So, what started me on this renewed interest in the Lotties was the potential of FINALLY getting Child2's birth record. Child2's draft card provides date and town and there is only one record that matches exactly and I now HAVE IT! Woo-hoo!

All questions to be answered now, yay, this is it! Lottie01 or Lottie02?

Here's the info on "mom" -- feel free to point and laugh. (Also, if you can make sense of her address, please do).

SmithMary.jpg

Any Jewelry and Figtree3 like this.
  13. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Congratulations!

Do you mean the word above Bradford? How about Huntington? But the Co seems more like an abbreviation for Company or County...

14. Bakersgma

Seeing it blown up, I'm wondering whether that actually says Huntington Co (for County)?

15. Bakersgma

There is a Huntington County, Indiana, but it's rather far from Marion County (Indianapolis.) There is no Huntington County, Pennsylvania, but there is a Huntingdon County - and Bradford isn't there (or even close.)

16. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Looks like Harrisburg XXX XXX
    Bradford PA.
    greg

Jivvy likes this.
  17. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It looks like Huntington Co(unty) to me as well. Maybe the clerk misspelt it.

Jivvy and Bronwen like this.
  18. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

A has a distinctive hairline. Tracing what can be seen on the other 3, all look same to me.

kyratango, Jivvy and Figtree3 like this.
  19. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Nevermind, deleted.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    Jivvy likes this.
  20. Bakersgma

Bedford? The handwritten clip clearly says Bradford - which is way north close to the PA - NY border.

clutteredcloset49 and Jivvy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted