Won't You Join Me On My Fool's Errand?

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Jivvy, Aug 6, 2018.

1. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Ooops, thank you

Jivvy likes this.
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Could it be H-something Fire Co????? above Bradford?????

Jivvy likes this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

It could. And that was Jivvy's first thought, but somehow I doubt that a "fire Co(mpany) makes sense as a residence.

Aquitaine likes this.
  4. Aquitaine

Earlier, I also had tried to "level the playing field" by desaturating all the images, and turning 'B' in the same direction.....not that it helped my decision all that much, but hey!!!!!

zzzHCB.jpg

5. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I think that's another factor. The B photo is showing her from the other side so it looks different. To me, the others all have a similar line to the side, just above the angle of her eyebrows, where the hairline comes farther into the facial area. It's in the young and the older pics.

6. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

Thank you all -- I had to run to a meeting where I was mostly useless because my brain was all, "who is 'Mary *&$^%#ing Smith'?"

Anyway, at first glance (and still, really) I see "Hun fur g Fire Co" or "Fore Co" ... I'm guessing I've missed something there. :hilarious:

So I appreciate your more sensible opinions. As I was just telling @Bakersgma, Pennsylvania is one of the few states I haven't combed for these yahoos, so time to roll up my sleeves.

@Bronwen -- thank you for the comments on the hairline. I had to check google to see if it's a rare thing. It's not rare. But (at first glance) it appears to be a thing more people don't have than do. I have it. Which proves nothing, but it's a tiny, probably random, data point that I'm going to clutch for the moment. :hilarious:

@Aquitaine -- thank you for turning her around. It seems much more obvious that way, but I'm not objective.

kyratango and Figtree3 like this.
  7. Jivvy

And I meant to say, I HAVE to get the birth certificate for Child4. I've contacted (and sent all the paperwork in and sent checks) to the county clerk's office at least twice (maybe three times) in the past many years. The last time about two years ago.

I never get anything back.

*rolling up sleeves*

Bakersgma likes this.
  8. Jivvy

Ooh, so county/state for Child4 has gotten an online ordering process... I hope it works because this county pretty much requires a blood sample in order to get a birth certificate and I really hate giving all the info they requested online. Plus, the only option was "certified$$" -- I don't need it certified.

Sure, why not, here's my money.

9. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Have to be careful about this, since she is not really facing the other way, she is reversed. If you've ever seen the weird effect of making a complete face using the photo of only one side & its mirror image, you've seen how asymmetrical we can be, so comparison is potentially misleading.

10. Jivvy

Okay, I already received email confirmation that they found the record (birth records of Child4) and have shipped it.

I have trouble believing that they've already shipped it (we're talking snail mail here), but I'll start checking my mailbox immediately. :p

kyratango and Bakersgma like this.
  11. Aquitaine

About my altered image.....aside from seeing it backwards....remember there is powerful sunlight apparently on the bright side, potentially altering what we are seeing for her hairline!!!! OR there's still the possibility "B" is not one and the same!!!!!!

12. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I'm a little lost. Who is "mom" when you refer to this?
    upload_2018-8-8_21-36-19.png
    All the letters are written as if on a line.
    I think it is Hun "t" not "f". Notice the "f" in Bradford drops below the other letters. I think those are two "t"s in the H word. Look at the "t" in Smith.

Do we have an approximate date?
    This is what is happening in Bradford around 1900.
    There are some links for info

https://www.bradfordlandmark.org/index.php?Bradford in 1900

13. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Oh and I think the 22 refers to Mary Smith's age.
    Does that fit with whoever is pictured?

Jivvy likes this.
  14. Jivvy

I'm so very sorry that that was unclear, because it's really fun. "Mary Smith" is the mom of Child2. I, naively, was expecting "mom" to be Lottie01 or Lottie02.

The so called "Mary Smith" is the exact same age as both the Lotties.

So... was "Mary Smith" a coverup? Wouldn't make sense if Lottie01 was mom, but if Lottie02 was? We know Lottie02 was not married at the birth of Child02 (or Child03 or Child04).

All I know? Birth records of Child02 were not as helpful as I would have liked. :hilarious:

Figtree3 likes this.
  15. Jivvy

Oh we have an exact date in 1905. And because of surrounding info, we KNOW that this is the birth record of Child02. But I suspect everything other than dad's name and occupation are a complete fabrication.

Not done researching, but that's where I'm headed.

Bakersgma likes this.
  16. Aquitaine

I think what @clutteredcloset49 makes sense in piecing together an address.........Huntington Co(ve), PA.....I just can't find it in PA!!!!!

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  17. Jivvy

If you kind folks will indulge me one more time... the number next to the green arrow... is that 2nd or 3rd?

For reference, the date on the line below is the "21st" and the two ages are "30" and "29"

lotties.jpg

@Bakersgma

18. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Jivvy, it definitely looks like 2nd to me!

The "2" has a similar look to the same digit in "21st", and there are two "bumps" after it, indicating (to me) an "n" not an "r".

kyratango, Jivvy and Figtree3 like this.
  19. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Are there any other places on that form where an obvious lower case r is written. (I agree that it looks like 2nd, but just in case...)

Jivvy and Figtree3 like this.
  20. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

It looks like 2nd. But I don't think that all clues are visible, necessarily.

Jivvy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted