Featured Wood and leather box with brass studs, French? Age please.

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Any Jewelry, Mar 23, 2019.

1. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

A new friend, a wooden silk lined valuables box with brass studs. There are leather decorations on the sides and on the centre of the lid. The leather on the lid is embossed, like old wall leather.
    The seller thought it was Indian, but I think it is French. The dovetail construction and scroll decoration are not Indian, and the French continued this 16th century (or older) European studded style until the beginning of the 20th century. And there is an abundance of fleur-de-lis.;)
    I found some antique French chests with brass studs in a similar style online, but no boxes.
    Can anyone confirm it is French? And any idea of the age? I think at least 19th century, although it could have been added to. And the kind of wood? It has two old deserted tiny wormholes.

I know you all like before and after pics, so here is how I got it:
    upload_2019-3-23_13-17-34.jpeg

Brass polish everywhere, some ink and other goo:
    upload_2019-3-23_13-18-37.jpeg

After the first bit of tlc, still needs a bit more attention. I added an old tassel to the tiny key so I wouldn't lose it, it is the same colour as the lining:
    upload_2019-3-23_13-21-10.jpeg

Back, with the old favourite, the green lighter, for size:
    upload_2019-3-23_13-26-51.jpeg

Bottom with stud feet:
    upload_2019-3-23_13-27-50.jpeg

Side with round leather patch:
    upload_2019-3-23_13-28-52.jpeg

I love those tiny dovetails:
    upload_2019-3-23_13-31-17.jpeg

Thank you for looking, more pics in next post.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
  2. Any Jewelry

The lock, does it look like it could have been replaced?
    upload_2019-3-23_13-34-42.jpeg
    In the lid:
    upload_2019-3-23_13-35-34.jpeg

The inside, first painted red and then lined with silk. Would the lining have been added at a later date?
    There are supports in the corners for a tray, but it looks like they were later additions. There is no tray
    upload_2019-3-23_13-43-24.jpeg

Hidden compartment for letters or documents:
    upload_2019-3-23_13-44-30.jpeg

Hinge, modern screws?
    DSC09868 (640x427).jpg

Leather decoration on lid:
    DSC09869 (640x412).jpg

3. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

It’s a Beauty! :) Great job sprucing it up! :)

4. Any Jewelry

Thanks, inh.:)
    I am relying on you to find a similar one of course.:playful: No pressure....

5. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Great box. Love the lining!

6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

AJ, that's a nifty little box!! I'm not really good at deciphering woods, unless they're very obvious, so I can't speak to that. If the lock hasn't been changed, and it may not have been, I'd say it has at least been re-worked.....maybe it got stuck locked...needed taking apart to fix.....? Still cute as a bug's ear!!!!

7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

if only the box could talk......i'll bet it would be a good story !

It looks like a cabinet makers one off piece....
    The lining has a feminine touch,
    while the outside is much more masculine.
    The hardware doesn't match up . The hinges look much newer than the lock....but the way the lock is seated in the wood is a mess....while the hinges look perfect and undisturbed..so they are the ones that may have been replaced .
    The maker had a wealth of studs & metal fleur-de-lis available to him, & what looks like a dresser handle....thus a professional cabinet maker.

I doubt even I need Help could find another one of these.........( no offense meant)...... but I think it's one of a kind !

8. i need help

Agree, no offense taken, OOAK, but that’s good! :)

9. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Wow, AJ, nice refurbishing on your new friend :joyful: I love the precious lining contrast with the old safe chest looking out outside:woot:

The tassel is an excellent way to keep the tiny key in view and not lost it!

Not sure it could be French, the fleurs de lis can be there only for ornemental purpose without a symbolism, and all those studs are IMHO a little too much for French fashion.
    Komo may be right for someone having access to a lot of hardware ;)

10. Any Jewelry

Isn't it! I like the way that it is a box trying very hard to look like a grown up chunky chest.:)

I agree, it looks like it has had an interesting history, and many hands working on it at different times of its life.
    Since I can't find one like it, I was wondering if it could have been a bespoke box to go with a chest. For travel maybe? Has it sailed the seven seas? We'll never know....

11. Any Jewelry

Thanks, it was in good structural condition, but desparately needed some tlc. Which I didn't mind giving.:happy: The tassel is mandatory in my case, if I am working on jewellery I tend to propel jewellery findings across the room.:shame:
    I agree, someone had a lot of fun decorating it.:playful:
    From the information I could find, the French were the last to make brass studded chests. If it isn't French, it has to be much older than I think.
    Maybe made for a French chauvinist? Or someone in the colonies who wanted to assert his French identity? Which could bring us back to the idea of India or further east, even though the box is European made. Maybe it even belonged to a relative of yours once?;) (I am not giving it back. :p)

Ghopper1924, komokwa, judy and 2 others like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

Thank you!
    I was thinking, maybe @Poisonivy can date the silk?

13. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Hummm, now you said... I may consider it belonged to my Grands:p

14. Any Jewelry

:hilarious:
    It is staying where it is.:rage:

15. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The leather under the handle has fleur-de-lys embossed into it too. That to me would rule out this being a reproduction or shed work. The hinges look brand harry spankers, but the rest... dunno. Somebody put some serious tack hammer time in on it.(LOL) Could it be Spanish instead of French?

And as to those darned jewelry findings - you need a cat. Mine earns her keep finding all the loose beads and things that go flying on me. She bats them out of hiding a day or two later.

Ghopper1924, komokwa, judy and 3 others like this.
  16. i need help

Maybe someone will weigh in on what type of wood it is?

17. Any Jewelry

I couldn't find any 19th century Spanish ones in this style. If it is Spanish, it is much older than I think. The same goes for other European countries, as far as I know. The style is originally 16th century, possibly older. The French apparently took a liking to it, they kept making it till ca 1900.:)
    I know.:cat: But I always say, if you can't take it to the vet, don't take a pet.
    My health prevents me from leaving the house most days, and if I do, I have to book a taxi online, in advance, because of speech difficulties. That is a problem when you have a cat emergency. Besides, after booking a taxi I am too exhausted to go to the vet.:( So no more cats.:bigtears:

18. Any Jewelry

I hope so.:)

19. Poisonivy

Poisonivy Well-Known Member

Hi AJ, Yes the lining has been added later but I can't date it sadly....
    It does have age though and has probably been in there for quite some time, it's very pretty :)

judy, Any Jewelry and i need help like this.
  20. Any Jewelry

Thank you, Poisonivy.:kiss: That would fit in with what @komokwa said of a feminine touch in a masculine looking box. Maybe a gentleman's document box that was turned into a jewellery box. We'll probably never know.
    Would you say the lining has been in there for over 100 years?

komokwa, judy and kyratango like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted