Wood Bowl With Sterling Base

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by kardinalisimo, Nov 25, 2014.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

About 11" in diameter.
    Mid century? Possible maker?
    I guess the wood is stained but any idea of its type?
    Thanks
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Hard to tell but I'd go for one of the now common tropical hardwoods with very unobtrusive grain like sapele or obeche, or even the old native, beech.

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Any chance you can get the round mark in better focus?

And are there letters to the right of it or is that a reflection of something else?

4. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies.
    The only mark I see is 'sterling'. Don't want to clean the silver but I doubt there are more. The round thingy is the head of a nail or similar hardware. There are few of them. That is how the base is mounted to the bottom. Wonder if it was originally made like that.

5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

A nail, eh? Who'da thunk it.

Nigh unto impossible to guess at a maker of the sterling base without more marks, I'm afraid. I've never seen a wooden bowl with sterling embellishment.

6. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Fairly common salad bowl from right around the 1960s, yours doesn't really look like it to me, but mine is mahogany (they also made sterling mounted melamine or styrene bowls), may have had matching servers and/or individual bowls. Most of the large silver manufacturers produced them, as well as a good number of small jobbers - might be able to poke around and find one with a label, but can't see that it would really make much of a difference...

~Cheryl

silverthwait, antidiem and afantiques like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted